Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Does the Multiverse answer questions about the Differences?

Page 1 of 2Next

So everyone has pretty much accepted that any differences between Portal 1 and Portal 2 in the appearance of the elevators, GLaDOS, non-portalable surfaces, cameras and the vast increase in the portability of levels are because Valve decided that making everything look a whole lot better in Portal 2 was more important than maintaining the specifics.

But there is another alternative. What if the Chell from Portal 2 comes from a universe where Portal 1 was consistent with Portal 2? Where in Portal 1 the cubes and the cube droppers were different, and the bts scenes were considerably different?

What if we - who play the game and assume control of the protagonists - have taken part in some dimension crossing between games?

Current Community Contributor status: not a community contributor. Lost it. :(

I think I'll stick to the artistic license explanation.

Additionally, I'm not convinced the multiverse stuff can really be considered canon...

I seem to remember that in the Portal 2 Post Mortem below, the writers mention something to the effect of 'players don't care if you're making stuff better' in regards to the elevator rooms.

Frankly, invoking the multiverse to explain the same thing seems a little unnecessary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqk4aqpXlQ
(skip to 16:40 for the part I mentioned)

I think that the Multiverse just applied to the PTI. There are several references to the first game which makes me think that it takes place in the same universe. Even the old portal 1 camera appears inactive in-game. There are too many references from the first game to make me think otherwise.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

yeah, multiverse is only to be able to add some voices and dynamics to the PTI maps. Not canon, just fun.

Technically there is an infinite amount of universes for every possible solution and ways the universe was began, therefore GLaDOS would not just be in 'Earth Prime'.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
chickenmobile wrote:
Technically there is an infinite amount of universes for every possible solution and ways the universe was began, therefore GLaDOS would not just be in 'Earth Prime'.

But GLaDOS is Caroline, and in another universe, Caroline is Glocbar. So what is Glocbar as an AI?

Big Mood

:notwant: at this entire thread, and people who think about shit like this.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
:notwant: at this entire thread, and people who think about shit like this.

Yeah, I agree... Over thinking things like this isn't appealing at all.

What if Chell is from another dimension? Wow, you just opened up a ton of new explanations there. What if Wheatly is from another dimension? What if Aperture is the equivalence of Black Mesa in another dimension. What if teletubbies rule the universe in that specific dimension? No one can tell...

Your theory doesn't really solve anything, it just blows a big stupid hole in an otherwise functional story...

Never use Logic to solve a puzzle, he's an idiot...

This thread is also from an alternate dimension.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 2Next