Please or Register to create posts and topics.

CRUSHERS AND WORLD PORTALS!!!

PreviousPage 2 of 2
zivi7 wrote:
SIDRAT wrote:
I don't use hammer, mainly cause it just seems clunky and hard to pick up compared to the level editor. I want to have at least some of the capability of hammer, but with the convenience of the level editor

It is hard to pick up compared to the level editor. But you can really just build everything you can in the level editor and then add and delete what you can't with the PTI by using Hammer.

This way, you won't have to go through countless tutorials for now. Just watch one that describes the basic ways to look around and select things etc., and then search for tutorials about the one thing you want to implement and do it.

While you could do this I wouldn't suggest it. I recommend using a starter guide on hammer to first learn the basics of the program.

You need the basics because in order to do the more advanced things like disabling faithplates, more complex logic and indicator lights require at least some basic knowledge. I highly recommend at least doing the basic tutorial on the vdc.

Once you got the basics covered (the tutorial is really good) you can do the more advanced stuff most people want to do. This way hammer will make a lot more sense and it'll be a lot quicker to do all the stuff in your maps :)

lpfreaky90 wrote:
The crushers are not in the PTI for two reasons:
1) You need invisible triggers for them. (valve doesn't want invisible stuff in the pti.)

Wait... is that official Valve policy? Because the piston lift does in fact have an invisible trigger. If you don't connect anything to it it, it will rise or lower as soon as the player steps on it, without a clear indication that it is going to do that.
(I'm not saying that this doesn't make sense, because it does, and it's often useful to have in a map. It just seems that it would violate a hypothetical "no surprise trigger" policy.)

proof:

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

@HMW: yes, that was the reason valve gave us (beta testers) I currently can't find the quote, but yea.

The invisible trigger in the case of the elevator is really logical:
Step on elevator -> elevator goes up.

With a crusher it'd be:
Step on surface below crusher* -> crusher comes down at you with a speed of ? and a delay of ?...
* depends on the position where you placed it, how far is it from the ceiling?
? depends on the height again
? depends on what you want to use the crusher for: could a player quickly pass it if they have speed gel?

Too many variables, the elevator is much more straight forward.

ME WANT TO CREATE DEADLIER PUZZLES! :lol:

I am seeing a lot of cool things I normally wouldn't see in the Puzzle Creator. I wonder if this tool will get more advanced as time goes on, but not to the extent of Hammer.

SIDRAT wrote:
I don't use hammer, mainly cause it just seems clunky and hard to pick up compared to the level editor. I want to have at least some of the capability of hammer, but with the convenience of the level editor

Yup, I want it to be that way. :thumbup:

Click my Steam Profile image to view my Portal 2 Workshop!

Single Player Tests - Excellent Partnership (Coop) - Single Player BEE Mod Tests
wildgoosespeeder wrote:
Yup, I want it to be that way. :thumbup:

Yeah. If I really wanted to I could learn hammer. But im a biggie for deisgn. 1). The PeTI looks nice 2). It allows me to PROPERLY see my test chamber as I build it....

actually, i can see my test just fine as I build it in hammer. it ha 4 useful veiwpoints, allowing for a very flexible camera system.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
CamBen wrote:
actually, i can see my test just fine as I build it in hammer. it ha 4 useful veiwpoints, allowing for a very flexible camera system.

I love the multiple viewpoints in hammer: it allows me a good overview. If a map really complex with multiple layers, off-grid decorations, rotated brushes and more of that stuff hammer might get confusing but then you have visgroups to solve that problem.

The PTI only has one camera and with more complex pti levels I sometimes have a lot of problems selecting the proper items. For complex maps I think hammer's camera modes are better then the pti.

lpfreaky90 wrote:
CamBen wrote:
actually, i can see my test just fine as I build it in hammer. It has 4 useful veiwpoints, allowing for a very flexible camera system.

I love the multiple viewpoints in hammer: it allows me a good overview. If a map really complex with multiple layers, off-grid decorations, rotated brushes and more of that stuff hammer might get confusing but then you have visgroups to solve that problem.

The PTI only has one camera and with more complex pti levels I sometimes have a lot of problems selecting the proper items. For complex maps I think hammer's camera modes are better then the pti.

i agree with the above statement completely.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
lpfreaky90 wrote:
Step on surface below crusher* -> crusher comes down at you with a speed of ? and a delay of ?...
* depends on the position where you placed it, how far is it from the ceiling?
? depends on the height again
? depends on what you want to use the crusher for: could a player quickly pass it if they have speed gel?

Too many variables, the elevator is much more straight forward.

* You can prevent a person from placing the item when the distance is too great. (ie limit it to 2 spaces max, otherwise invalid)
? see above, predetermined speed/speed options in the editor (this can work thanks to the fact that the crusher has a full smash animation. To slow it down all you need to do is use SetPlaybackRate, and add delays to stuff synced accordingly. You can do all this in the instance and merely have the option in the editor enable/disable relay setups.

? This should trigger it anyway: If your speeding by, it will still try to kill you, it just won't because your too fast.

PreviousPage 2 of 2