Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Community Map Project

PreviousPage 8 of 9Next

Holy shit 70 reply's, awesome sauce guys.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

I would love to make a couple maps for this, but i definately think the maps should be small, it would make stringing them together easyer and we would have more control over the difficulty levels.

I would be up for making any difficulty lvl of the no portal gun maps (with the auto portals) or some of the easy-medium portal gun maps. Making BTS stuff is what i tend to do normaly so I wouldn't mind doing that. I'll post some screens of some of the things I've made but I'll make what ever type of map we need more of for this :)

ps. I think the original post/guidelines needs to be updated to include some recent ideas...

Tigger wrote:
msleeper wrote:
This is kind of a planning thread, what do you think would be best?

I think knowing what the "story" we're wanting to tell would be good.

Is this an alternative Portal Story, ala the Portal Flash Map Pak? Are we using Glados, or creating new voices for another AI? Is this just a set of maps thrown together to prove we can map, ala a map pak?

Do we want to put this in the HL2 setting the way the Portal Flash Pack did?

Do we want to make this an early setting ala the Hurricane maps?

Do we want to make this a Post Glados map maybe? One where... the AI is gone, self destructed, post Portal, and things are broken? Maybe every map has some lost power or devices that don't work and the player has to figure out how to escape?

Well, maybe it would only be better to have a large selection of smaller maps. You might have to load more often, but it offers more opportunity for variation. You'd play a map of a different author every few minutes, so in case you get bored of, for example, Hurricaaane's maps, you know you'll switch to MrTwoVideoCards' map once you got through it.

It could slightly damage continuity, but it would certainly benefit gameplay.

"Duct Tape is the answer."

I've got a fairly large map T_T

I hope it's not a problem, I didn't know we're gonna prefer small maps untill I already got a long way with my map...

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.

Unless you HAVE to keep it as one level, stick an elevator in it, no one will realise that it isn't two separate maps. and you get to submit the map as one map

My previous post was just an idea, my opinion. I don't think it really matters. We can have both very large and very small chambers. Maybe it's best if we add some kind of length-indicator to the chamber signposts... I'm sure there will be huge differences in lengths, some maps only containing 2 puzzles whilst others contain 10.

"Duct Tape is the answer."

Sorry, can't stick an elevator in. In time you get to other rooms, but you return to the old rooms to retrieve items such as cubes and energy balls from it.

I've also came up with something new. Energy Pellet Checkpoints.
You get an energy pellet in a catcher somewhere in the map, the wall will rotate, hiding the catcher but revealing a launcher. There's also a button coming from the ground. Now you can use this to get your energy pellets.

To prevent geting all the way back trough the map if your pellet bounces wrong.

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.

edit:
nevermind, I thought this was a contest, my bad.

I might try and get something in, I don't know, maybe I'm infected with the Aperture Science Infectious Cannot-Be-Arsed Disease :U

This sounds like fun!

I'd love to put something together for this mapping project! I've always liked mapping for Portal - it's a very neat game/concept. (I created gm_portal_challenge way back in the day).

I'll check out the portal pack and see if there's a few concepts I can whip up over the weekend. Hooray! :D

PreviousPage 8 of 9Next