Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Bumbleball - "living" test element

Page 1 of 4Next

This is the newest test element of the Aperture Laboratories after an idea of Moth.

This is not just a ball, it's a bumbleball. This means it jumps, bounces and even moves... if you don't watch it!

In this pack there are 4 instances:
-A normal sphere button specialized for the bumbleballs, not useable with other objects.
-the single bumbleball
-droppers for bumbleballs, dirty and clean

If the bumbleball is outside of the players view it will bounce around every 2. second. It will make a distinctive sound when bouncing so the player can hear it.
When on a button, the ball won't bounce, move or whatever.

The .PSD file for custom textures is added. You can make up to 16 skins (value 15 in Hammer Editor).

If you want to paint it, it will get colored but wont jump or glide. Thats because its a normal prop_physics. Prop_physics_paintable is not recommended because it will get the paint settings, but wont get any visible paint color.

To dissolve the ball, for example in water, FireUser4 on it.

File Name: Bumbleball.7z
File Size: 1.53 MiB
Click here to download Bumbleball - 'living' test element

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bumbleball

Please give us your vote!

We've been having fun with this for weeks already: it's mischievous - as long as you keep it in sight, it won't move. Tests involving LOS-blocking walls, narrow walkways and water/fizzler hazards are *hilarious* fun!

Before anyone tries to compare this to a regular sphere, they're *very* different - we also worked hard to ensure they don't just behave the same way as blue painted cubes - they feel organic and 'alive' - very Aperturey!

Rather than provide an introductory map, we thought we would leave it to the community mappers to introduce the bumbleball in interesting ways to new players. We also need multiple bright plastic skin variations - like this:

Image Image Image

We're hoping to feature the bumbleball extensively throughout The Citruz Project.

Also important to note that all this is implemented with NO SCRIPTING REQUIRED!
Just drop an instance into your map, and you're good to go!

"Such monstrous sucking-constructions aren't built within one afternoon"

This is impressive!

I would like to have a check this afternoon! The potential for puzzles is HUGE! That feature about bouncing if the player stops from keeping an eye on it is AWESOME!

Even without having tried yet...
CONGRATULATIONS!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Hey there.

Just tried that thing out and really like it.
The sound is kind of funny, because if you don't have a clue, it's moving you
would probably wonder where the sound comes from - then turn around and be
surprised how far away you placed that ball. :lol:

It's definitely a very nice idea and instances are working very well.
I was looking how you build up this cube and also into the Outputs and have to say: well done!

Thanks for sharing - would love to see this idea in some maps.

Regards
PortalCombat

[back on TWP since 08. July 2017]
Steam: DrFauli

Could we get a video? I'm too drunk to know what this is.

Couldn't you use the other skins for when it's painted? I know the cubes do something like that, in the code.

This looks like a great mod! I'm imagining some tests with it now.

Falsi sumus crusto!

We reserve two skins for paint effects, so yes this *would* be perfectly acceptable, since it's how valve props work when they're painted:

If -> ball is painted blue -> change to skin 1 (blue paint)
If -> ball is painted orange -> change to skin 2 (orange paint)

"Such monstrous sucking-constructions aren't built within one afternoon"

This is pretty cool. are you aware that if you watch them through portals they still move?

I think in terms of boolean variables. Generally, it makes things easier.
Spam Nugget wrote:
This is pretty cool. are you aware that if you watch them through portals they still move?

Yes they should move if you watch them through Portals. I can't solve this problem.

Painting would be possible, but there is no input or entity that recognizes the type of paint the ball has, so the skin can't get chosen right.

Skotty wrote:
Spam Nugget wrote:

Yes they should move if you watch them through Portals. I can't solve this problem.

Painting would be possible, but there is no input or entity that recognizes the type of paint the ball has, so the skin can't get chosen right.

You could however cheat: make it that you can only hold the cube under the dropper then use a math_counter or something to know which paint is in that area, then use the onpainted output on the bumbleball?

Edit: or be a bit more tricky, make it so that you can infact make a portal, but use a portal detector to see if it can be painted that way? I dunno... just my two cents ;)

Page 1 of 4Next