Please or Register to create posts and topics.

BEE2: How to import a custom instance?

Hello All! I just installed BEE2 For PTI. I really like it, but how do i add a custom instance into PTI Using BEE2?
I heard i need to script the instance into a PTI Item. How do i do all this? Thanks! :)

Please post pictures! :postpics:

I am currently working on a Portal 2 Map series 'Testing for life'

Check out my Steam Workshop Here
kyleprotecX wrote:
Hello All! I just installed BEE2 For PTI. I really like it, but how do i add a custom instance into PTI Using BEE2?
I heard i need to script the instance into a PTI Item. How do i do all this? Thanks! :)

(Ach), Well, it's a bit of a pain, because the scripts use a specific I/O system that the instances have on them, and you need to look in the current beec files to see how they work so you can make your own. You need to use a specific item class depending on how your item works or how many I/Os it has. I don't have the thing on my PC right now, so I can't really give an example, but I tried this before, and it's a real pain. You can download TeamSpen10's items if you want premade items. They're in the other downloads.

yishbarr wrote:
kyleprotecX wrote:

(Ach), Well, it's a bit of a pain, because the scripts use a specific I/O system that the instances have on them, and you need to look in the current beec files to see how they work so you can make your own. You need to use a specific item class depending on how your item works or how many I/Os it has. I don't have the thing on my PC right now, so I can't really give an example, but I tried this before, and it's a real pain. You can download TeamSpen10's items if you want premade items. They're in the other downloads.

Thanks for your help. I have already tried TeamSpen10's Items they are great.

But i still need help with importing an instance

Its mostly a process of magic. No Rhyme or reason.

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps

THanks BenVlodgi. Thank-You for teaching me the process of magic!

This forum thread has been incredibly useful when figuring out the format of editoritems files. I'd suggest you read that, along with looking through the BEEC files that already exist for the BEE2. Look at the instances as well (instances/p2editor_<style>/, or instances/p2editor/tspen/<style> for mine) to see how they are positioned, and the logic used for inputs and outputs. (The math_counter, func_instance_io_proxy and branch_toggle combo appears a lot for inputs.)

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]

BEE2.4 has a more easily understandable package format, as well as a proper documentation for it.

VBSP failed: Could not open instance file instances/luke18033/signature.vmf