Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Auto-Texturing PTI Maps?

Page 1 of 2Next

Is there any way to change the default texture of the brushes the PTI places? I'm thinking one of the yellow anim_wp textures for non portalable, and an underground/old/factory white texture for white. I assume this would be pretty hard, but still. Is there any way?

Unfortunately I tried this very thing earlier with the glass textures and it failed. I think the compiler resets the textures to their defaults in the VMF before it passes the compile process over to vbsp which makes it very hard to do. You'd probably have to find a way to intervene in that process and manually alter the textures in the VMF after the process creates the VMF but before it passes the task to the compiler.

Shane wrote:
Unfortunately I tried this very thing earlier with the glass textures and it failed. I think the compiler resets the textures to their defaults in the VMF before it passes the compile process over to vbsp which makes it very hard to do. You'd probably have to find a way to intervene in that process and manually alter the textures in the VMF after the process creates the VMF but before it passes the task to the compiler.

I don't quite understand what you're saying, but... that means that the PTI's compiler resets textures on things? Aww. Maybe I can learn how to mod and replace the PTI's compiler with Hammer's, though there really is only one use.

Yeah, it resets the textures every time you recompile a map, I tried intoducing texture changes by editing the exported VMF in Hammer, but as soon as I recompiled the map again it reset them. The process of exporting the VMF is handled by the game itself, and it then simply passes commands off to VBSP, VVIS and VRAD to actually compile the map. Technically the game itself doesn't actually compile the BSP but because it remakes the VMF it's hard to alter the textures.

Personally i'd just build the puzzle in the editor then export it using "puzzlemaker_export <filename>" and touch it up with hammer, would probably be a lot easier than trying to screw about with the PTI editor's building process.

Couldn't you just use the face edit sheet and replace the textures? I'm pretty sure it replaces every texture in there.

Big Mood

Yeah, but I think he was asking for a way to do it and still use the editor.

I DO use Hammer, its just a pain in the ass to re texture those things, mainly because I can't figure out how to use the replace function (the Valve developer wiki thing didn't help)...

Alexander Bell wrote:
I DO use Hammer, its just a pain in the ass to re texture those things, mainly because I can't figure out how to use the replace function (the Valve developer wiki thing didn't help)...

1. Click on the Face Edit tool
2. Click on Replace
3. Select the textures you want to find and replace with

Don't see how that can be hard :P

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

Go in the face edit tool (shift+A) hit replace, choose a texture on the left for the texture in the map you want to change, and one on the right you want to have replace the other one. So the left would be a panel texture, and the right would have a bts texture.

Looks like usCobra beat me to it. Guess it could be a bit more in depth.

Big Mood

If you're looking to replace a mass of textures at once you can do it by simply clicking on the face edit button, then click on a face that has the texture you want to replace. Then browse for the texture that you want to replace it with and just click OK (you have to have everything checked under where it says replace in), then just click OK (If the new texture is a different resolution to the old one you'll also want to check the option to rescale texture coordinates)

If you want to replace them one by one simply select the texture you want from the drop down box on the right hand side of the Hammer window, click the face you want to apply it to so that it's selected then press the "Apply texture to current selection button" on the toolbar (it's the button that looks like a brown cube)

Page 1 of 2Next