Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Am I allowed to release PeTI maps from Aperture Tag here?

PreviousPage 2 of 2

weird, i typed out a whole thoughtful reply and stuff, but it disappeared. :/

here's what i agree with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1W5zy_UbL4

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.

Wow, didnt think I'd see another msleeper post.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
Is there really sufficient interest for a new download category? IE more than a handful of maps?

It's not that essential, so you can give me a simple yes or no answer to the main question - am I allowed to publish maps (maybe with [Aperture Tag] before the title) in the Community releases section of TWP?

On the other hand, there's also a workshop page for Thinking With Time Machine and there are a couple of maps that deserve more popularity. If there's one more board index tab, it could contain:
-A.Tag hammer maps
-A. Tag PTI maps.
-TWTM hammer maps
-TWTM PTI maps.

tile wrote:

I'm a subscriber of valvetime, so I watched that review as soon as I finished Aperture tag and what they actually say is: It has fantastic visuals and sowndtrack and a great idea, but the story is weak, the voice acting is awful and some of the puzzles were too hard/too much. - to that I say YES, absolutely correct, except for the puzzles part. Valvetime aren't people who play puzzles every day like most of us portal fans. I liked the last tests (which they disliked) THE MOST. They were fun, challenging, fresh, using most of the portal 2 puzzle elements and overall awesome. Again, the fact that the story and the voice acting aren't the best doesn't bother creating new cool custom paint-gun tests.

| _/ () wrote:
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
Is there really sufficient interest for a new download category? IE more than a handful of maps?

It's not that essential, so you can give me a simple yes or no answer to the main question - am I allowed to publish maps (maybe with [Aperture Tag] before the title) in the Community releases section of TWP?

On the other hand, there's also a workshop page for Thinking With Time Machine and there are a couple of maps that deserve more popularity. If there's one more board index tab, it could contain:
-A.Tag hammer maps
-A. Tag PTI maps.
-TWTM hammer maps
-TWTM PTI maps.

tile wrote:

I'm a subscriber of valvetime, so I watched that review as soon as I finished Aperture tag and what they actually say is: It has fantastic visuals and sowndtrack and a great idea, but the story is weak, the voice acting is awful and some of the puzzles were too hard/too much. - to that I say YES, absolutely correct, except for the puzzles part. Valvetime aren't people who play puzzles every day like most of us portal fans. I liked the last tests (which they disliked) THE MOST. They were fun, challenging, fresh, using most of the portal 2 puzzle elements and overall awesome. Again, the fact that the story and the voice acting aren't the best doesn't bother creating new cool custom paint-gun tests.

yes, but, take into account that both you and them are viewing it from the player's perspective, not the developer's perspective. when you've made maps in hammer in a decent to high quality, this mod drives you crazy. some areas are definitely great, like the visuals of the final tests. not the puzzles IMO, i agree with valvetime there. but other areas, like the still broken portal 1 tests from portal 2...pretty much just straight up decompiled from portal 2 maps. and the intro area, with randomly disappearing walkway and VERY poorly planned layout. again, there were some very very ugly areas in this mod. sure, really awsome ones too, but...still. some were just VERY ugly. like the room you first get the paint gun in.

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.
tile wrote:
yes, but, take into account that both you and them are viewing it from the player's perspective, not the developer's perspective. when you've made maps in hammer in a decent to high quality, this mod drives you crazy. some areas are definitely great, like the visuals of the final tests. not the puzzles IMO, i agree with valvetime there. but other areas, like the still broken portal 1 tests from portal 2...pretty much just straight up decompiled from portal 2 maps. and the intro area, with randomly disappearing walkway and VERY poorly planned layout. again, there were some very very ugly areas in this mod. sure, really awsome ones too, but...still. some were just VERY ugly. like the room you first get the paint gun in.

We changed the main subject, but...ok, here's what I think:

By "ugly" I can understand wrongly placed textures, bad lighting or objects that it's not logical to be where they are.

I haven't encountered any lighting problems. What's more, if you look carefully, the lighting in the destroyed portal 1 map is brighter and - I'll say it - cooler than in portal 2. So I'm not sure if it's only decompiled from the game, but even if it is, it's not a bad thing, since there are several changed things.
Secondly, I haven't encountered any badly placed textures other than 2 visible nodraw-s, but those are very minor issues.
And if you don't think it's logical (for that room, where you get the gun) both underground walls and floors AND modern vacuum tubes, cubes and antlines to exist at one place, I think it is. After all, GLaDOS found the underground chambers so why not recycle old materials she found there? About the place with the stasis chambers room at the beginning - is the fog unlogical to be there? or the pictures? or what?
Why are we arguing about what the mod needs/doesn't need anyway? I...don't actually want to change your oppinion about it so...I'm not going to reply to any more complaints about it.

PreviousPage 2 of 2