Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A story to tell

Had this story idea, concept for quite some time, but I know I won't bring it to the day light by my own, so... just presenting it, maybe someone will pay attention, some not. Maybe someone will take some ideas from this, maybe add some more. I don't have a name for it, so just calling it a Story at the moment.
The story presented is not finished.
In advance, sorry for the wall brick of words.
Ps: this is just a story, a concept, not a mod in progress. I would only be interested in making this into a mod if I had a good development team.

Characters. in total there would be three:
* Jerrold [Redacted] (player);
* Crow (sidekick character);
* The survivor ([classified]).

Player (main character):
Male
Status: fired Aperture employee - conducted unregistered experiments. After some time, took the Aperture testing initiative to get 60$.

Scenery
Takes place in the old Aperture, Underground, from the start to the end. Players gets to explore the other parts of Aperture, other shafts, different experiments and different puzzle mechanics, but of the cost of removing few of the known puzzle mechanics such as light bridges and tractor-beams.

Wanted scenery would have from basic old Aperture to Repture vibe to it at some points. For example, as one of the shafts were conducting experiments with water and biology. Players would see a built dam inside a salt mine, mechanical mindustry environment, caverns, tech labs for water experiments and maybe even underwater testing.

New mechanics
(only ideas so far):
* Heavy cube. The cube is made out from metal and because of that it is heavier than the average cube and less effected by the gels (less bouncy, less slippery).
* The magnet. Mounted on a surface; Only effects Heavy cubes; Pulls Heavy cube if it is near by and if the magnet is facing its direction.
* "Stop" field. A field, an area (can be a size of a room); Only effects Heavy cubes; When Heavy cube is present in that field, its motion is disabled (doesn't move, can stay static in the air). To enable its motion, ether the player has to pick up the cube or the field has to be disabled. This mechanic can be seen in Hex complex and Islands maps.
* Magnetic push. Has the effects of both "the magnet" and "Stop field". Works similar to tractor beam, but only works on Heavy cubes.
* Electrical button. A button which can only be activated by a battery cube or any other means of electricity.
* Battery cube. Works like the Heavy cube, but has a battery inside of it (which players can observe). This battery can be charged at points where electricity is present. A charged battery cube can activate Electrical buttons.
* Re-chargeable battery cube. Works just like a Battery cube, but doesn't need to be charged, it re-charges itself, but when it is placed on the Electrical button, the re-chargeable battery cube loses its power over time (like a timer sequence) and when it depletes, it deactivates whatever it was activating. To re-charge it, the player has to remove it from the Electrical button and the cube will recharge in seconds.

Lore
Chapter 1: The trial
Screen is white.
Unknown women: *short laugh* Wake up sweetheart, we don't want to waste time.
Man: Where is the rush, we got all the time in the world.
Unknown women: You know how much I love these journeys. The blue sea, the soft winds, a house for two of us...
Man: *short laugh* You make it sound like a fairy tale.
Unknown women: Well then, in that case, let our adventure begin... and lets start it with... *Greetings friend, I'm Cave Johnson...*
Player wakes up from the dream.

Player wakes up when Cave J. pre-recorded message starts. Player is in the "waiting test subject area" on a chair. The player stands up and follows the line to the testing spheres while more pre-recorded Cave J. lines are heard. While heading to the testing area, player sees scientists, offices and other things pointing out that the facility is running (happening before GLaDOS). Completes 3 testing spheres. After third sphere, player escapes through a locked door (which he knew the code for) and a chase sequence begins as he tries to reach [classified]. While running away, player performs unsafe methods which ends with the player getting hit in the head by an [object].
(Sphere maps)

Chapter 2: Resurrection
(Cinematic) Player walks through a white corridor with locked doors at the sides, in the end is a door with windows from where red light is emitting (dream world). While walking to it, player wakes up and falls to sleep again few times (player sees that he is in a stasis chamber, each wake up shows a decay of the facility and the stasis chamber). When player is near the red door, he is waken up by a voice "Hey, wake up!". While being in a stasis chamber (which is a bit broken by now), the main character looks around, "Over here!", finding out that there is a talking Crow. "Finally someone wakes up, you have no idea how long I have waited for this moment. Now... just if you could get out from there.".

(Playing moment) The stasis chamber is a bit broken and loosened up. The player moves around a bit and the stasis chamber falls down and on impact, player passes out. "Wakey-wakey, sleeping beauty". Player wakes up while coughing (the stasis chamber glass is broken, the water is out), player stands up. The area is a bit dark, there are few lights in the horizon, looking up, there can be seen stasis chambers, some have lights, some don't.

(Player can walk) "Are you OK? Any dizziness? Broken bones? Synesthesia? / You look fine to me, just... you aren't wearing anything" (if player looks down -> "Don... Don't worry, they are still there. Don't have to stare at them..."). [Some additional conversation is done, main character doesn't speak]. "Alright, it is time to get out from here. There should be an exit from here somewhere. / There! Follow me!" Crow flies away to a far away door which has a bright lamp near it. Player moves to it, going over obstacles. When near the door, the Crow leaps on the players shoulders, they go into the hallway. They find a dressing room, player dresses up. ...

The Continuing story and gameplay
The Crow talks to the player as they move through the facility. Their objective is to find where did all Aperture employees have gone to, while doing some minor puzzles along the way (moving boxes, activating switches and so on). Finds a portal device in one of the rooms, continues on. Gets to the Underground Aperture offices, where the characters finds out, more or less, that the facility is fully abandoned. The Crow suggest to go to a different part of the the Aperture facility, other shaft. From there starts some small puzzles which includes heights from which player can die from (because he is not wear long fall boots, yet). After few puzzles, player finds long fall boots. Goes through some testing tracks until reaching a half sunken sphere, they have to get on the other side. The player moves to the half sunken sphere, trying to complete a broken test chamber, but at some point, the sphere starts to sink and it starts a timed event. While the sphere is sinking, player goes through some obstacles and gets on a faith plate and launches from the sphere, reaching the destination.

Industry area
Player and the crow gets on a railway train and goes to a different shaft, where the scenery changes a bit: industry area: metal, more pipes, mechanical constructions - this is the part where Aperture and Repture vibe kicks in. After reaching a destination, they have to leave the train as the continuing passage to the shaft, the Crow was talking about, was destroyed / dead end. Going through the facility you enter a chamber where... [classified] ...and lose the Crow. This is where the second side character is introduced. The Survivor, which name is [classified] only talks through Aperture speakers and sees you through cameras. Going through this part of the facility, you hear the Survivors story, that you should reach the same destination as the Crow described, get introduced to new puzzle mechanics that are based around magnets (read the "new mechanics section" for that). After reaching another railway station that should take you to the shaft the player was heading, the player slightly loses connection to the Survivor as the speakers no longer operate well and after you get into the train, the player loses total connection to the Survivor. The player leaves the station to the next shaft.

The labs
Player reaches the next station which looks more modern, more techy. After leaving the station he is reunited with the Crow (at this point the Crow still has no clue about the Survivor). the player reaches an open area where he sees the big dam in the salt mines, the labs and markings, having the full Aperture/Repture crossover. The player goes through some labs, offices, test chambers with extra new puzzle mechanics (maybe few small puzzles or just scenery things happens underwater, in a suit of course...). After some time, a switch-a-roo happens between the side characters and the story heats up while still continuing through the chambers and such until the crossover between these 2 side characters happens. Then... [classified ending lore] ...

The End
There are 2 different types of endings: "The escape" and "The truth". Which ending the player receives depends on how many secret lore places the player has gone through the gameplay (which tells a backstory and such).
"The escape" is pretty basic. The player escapes the facility to the wilderness, not turning back, trying to forget everything about Aperture.
Unlocking the "The truth" ending, the player gets an extra map to complete (mostly walking and doing small time puzzles) which explains lore, who is the main character, why this all happen and such. What can be said about this ending... it is a dark one.

And that is about it. Just wanted to share a story I have if I were to create a mod, I would go along the lines that I wrote.

Cheers. :)