Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Why is the Portal 2 Authoring Tools still in Beta?

Page 1 of 2Next

Seriously, why?

oh my god please HELP ME

please

because someone at valve is too lazy to remove beta from the name ;)

Also, why can't we get all the instances Valve used.

If you decompile a valve map, at least 25% of the instance that they use aren't given.

Again, why didn't they give use the Human Vault map?

oh my god please HELP ME

please

oh my god please HELP ME

please

I'm trying to get my post count to 42.

Once it is there, I am putting a 42 on my avatar.

oh my god please HELP ME

please

Just make your own instances (Its really better). I (for example) have over hundred custom instances, for anything.

TheTobbell wrote:
Just make your own instances (Its really better). I (for example) have over hundred custom instances, for anything.

Agreed ;)

To the topic: to me, the answer is really easy: because it IS a beta stage of a tool! I'm still shocked by the amount of improvements that the tools STILL need from the day they were released, while VALVe seems to be doing nothing really to fix them.

Honestly, I would at least work on one important improvement asap if possible: I'd try to make the hammer editor more flexible "memory-wise", being capable to use more memory there where it's possible and there's enough available! I'm tired of measuring up its lack of memory every time I spent 5-10 minutes mapping and I want to open my textures browser, hit Ctrl+S, open it, crash! (I tend to don't do this, but save the map, close hammer, re-open it, go to my textures browser)... Or open the hammer model browser and it isn't capable to render anything but a white window... or crash it when trying to open a 2nd map while another one is already opened...

Would VALVe ever spend the few time needed to improve the tools? I bet they have got a better hammer editor version than we have.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
I bet they have got a better hammer editor version than we have.

Well, Yeah, they do have source 2.

| _/ () wrote:
Well, Yeah, they do have source 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot it! :D It's the best reason to be ignoring the current hammer editor...

Code: Select all
SOURCE 2 ENGINE
Redesigned Tools & Workflow

?Powerful GUI front end for content authoring.
        -Can be easily extended with custom and pre-game assets
    ?Browser for quickly finding, managing, editing assets
    ?Simple, automatic compiling of content

Source

.... Well, let's cross fingers then and pray for they release Source2 soon, and let's hope they won't mess much everything up as usual.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

For the love of god.

Valve, please add portal support to Source 2 (and maybe asset support too).

If they do, guess who is going to be making Portal 2 : UHD Remix.

oh my god please HELP ME

please
Page 1 of 2Next