Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Orientation

Page 1 of 2Next

Ok. I finally pushed my first baby out into the world.

dload.php?action=file&file_id=217

This is a basic to intermediate test chamber level that highlights "Orienting while Flinging" and "Shooting while Flinging".

Contains four chambers that train various fling skills, and a fifth chamber that pulls them together.

Very safe. No time pressure. This is a map that is meant for practice rather than danger or drama.

Version 1.0:
Full lighting and textures.
All decals and devices work.
Fling Dampening Field to help slow the player down when flinging into a small area.
Non moving elevators.
No GlaDOS voice, but that was mainly because I didn't find appropriate voice tags for what was happening.

So THAT'S how you do that!

Well done. Nicely put together. It's a very spacious map and all the flinging made me feel.. exhilarated. It was fairly easy to perform the flings. What might be fun is a time based challenge to see how fast you can finish it (looks at infernet89).

One bug I found is in the

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Otherwise a good effort!

Tigger wrote:
Ok. I finally pushed my first baby out into the world...

thanks for the disturbing metaphor...

but this sir is a great job! i especially like how you designed the FDF amazing. am i right in guessing that it is the texture used for switch indicators streched out and some simple brush shapes put over them? if so that sir is Thinking With Hammer! Good Job!

and the last puzzle room is great!

like you said none of this map is incredibly hard but well put together. well made and most importantly FUN! keep in mind i've played this one through several itterations and even though i've played it AGAIN it was still fun!

note: i have no complaints HOWEVER if fusions error is right. that should be fixed. take off the "open on touch" flag

do NOT click this
Fusion wrote:
Well done. Nicely put together. It's a very spacious map and all the flinging made me feel.. exhilarated. It was fairly easy to perform the flings. What might be fun is a time based challenge to see how fast you can finish it (looks at infernet89).

Thank you!

Fusion wrote:
One bug I found is in the
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Gah... it didn't even occur to me to test for that! Thank you for finding it! I will be fixing it tonight.

rellikpd wrote:
thanks for the disturbing metaphor...

Erm... think of pushing a baby bird out of a nest. It has to fly sometime!

Quote:
but this sir is a great job! i especially like how you designed the FDF amazing. am i right in guessing that it is the texture used for switch indicators streched out and some simple brush shapes put over them? if so that sir is Thinking With Hammer! Good Job!

Thanks! It was a plastic frame texture I think. I scaled it to match the field texture, and added brushes at the centers of each spot.

Quote:
and the last puzzle room is great!

like you said none of this map is incredibly hard but well put together. well made and most importantly FUN! keep in mind i've played this one through several itterations and even though i've played it AGAIN it was still fun!

That means a lot. Thanks again. I wanted it to be both fun and good practice.

Very nice map. The first time i went through it I didn't even notice that those things on the side were those FDFs, I didn't use them cos I gently went through the portal each time thinking I would just fly back into the room. After reading about it I reloaded your map to play again and I used them this time round. They are well nifty. Good use of entities but its a little dull when they're not stopping you. Perhaps have some kind of effects going across it like a combine shield texture or similar.

Each section of the map is well thought out and fun to play. The gameplay is consistant without being repetitive and the difficulty is judged very well.

Heres a quick breakdown with what I looked for in each catagory

Gameplay (ideas and fun factor): 8/10
Difficulty (fairness and balance): 8/10
Graphics (architecture and lighting): 7/10
Sound (ambience and spot effects): 7/10

Overall: 8/10

thats some breakdown maz...

my break downs are usually like this

Did i like it? [yes / no] (circle one) *end*

do NOT click this

Version 1.1 is up. Has the fix for the "Open on Touch" for the first door.

mazk1985 wrote:
Very nice map. The first time i went through it I didn't even notice that those things on the side were those FDFs, I didn't use them cos I gently went through the portal each time thinking I would just fly back into the room. After reading about it I reloaded your map to play again and I used them this time round. They are well nifty. Good use of entities but its a little dull when they're not stopping you. Perhaps have some kind of effects going across it like a combine shield texture or similar.

Thanks for the feedback on the FDFs. I think I will do them more properly if I use them again in another map.

Quote:
Gameplay (ideas and fun factor): 8/10
Difficulty (fairness and balance): 8/10
Graphics (architecture and lighting): 7/10
Sound (ambience and spot effects): 7/10

Overall: 8/10

Cool. I'm glad that gameplay and balance got highest marks. :) I'll work on creating a more aesthetic map for my next one.

rellikpd wrote:
thats some breakdown maz...

my break downs are usually like this

Did i like it? [yes / no] (circle one) *end*

I like the map.

Awesome that was much quicker. Thanks rpd :)

Page 1 of 2Next