Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Odd glitch with transparent textures

Page 1 of 2Next

Has anyone else noticed that just occasionally when they upload a map to the workshop and then test play to make sure it worked that every so often the map will not render properly, essentially all transparent textures (like cube dropper glass, the glass around the elevator ETC) will look opaque and off? Although re-uploading usually fixes the problem it's a bit annoying.

Yes. I think it's a cubemap error of some sort, it doesn't happen if I don't have cubemaps (in which case it's always purple checkered, never opaque).

Falsi sumus crusto!

In one of my maps some of a dropper looks like its ignoring the glass, which looks wierd. I'm too tired and lazy to try to fix it/reupload it.

I've tried removing and re-adding the map and the problem is still there, it's not a compile error as it compiled fine and looks fine when I run it from my maps folder. Is there any way at all to fix the problem? This is a hammer map, I didn't make it with the PTI editor

Tried building the cubemaps in HDR and SDR mode and this problem still won't go away. It's REALLy annoying.

Options: -both -final

Falsi sumus crusto!

Nope, even that didn't help :/

So to make sure we (I) understand: this happens only after you upload the map to the workshop? I.e. playing the exact same bsp file locally is fine?

This might indicate that the file gets corrupted somehow while it's uploading.
(You may want to verify cache to make sure you don't have an outdated p2map_publish.exe.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Here's what happens:

I compile the map in Hammer then run it with F9, and Portal 2 launches it from /portal 2/portal2/maps, no problems

I copy it to /portal 2/portal2_dlc2/maps and launch it (if you try to build the cubemaps in any other dir the game crashes), and the exact same problem presents itself. However building the cubemaps via the console makes it look OK again (I build the cubemaps in HDR mode, then switch to ldr by typing mat_hdr_level 0 and build them in SDR mode, then switch back to HDR mode)

After I build the cubemaps and upload the map to the workshop, I subscribe and play to test it. The map downloads, and upon launching it looks crappy again.

Something's definitely happening to maps between the process of uploading to the workshop and downloading to other people's cache, and it only seems to happen with maps built in Hammer. Do you have any idea if maps from the workshop built in the PETI editor compile with HDR?

Sorry to keep bumping but does anyone have any more insight into this? it's really starting to annoy me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Provided the VMF in the hope it might give some insight

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?75wv5ajpoa8gy31

Page 1 of 2Next