Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to crash a map! From bad ideas to short-sightedness

Page 1 of 2Next

Okay so I decided that this would be both informative and entertaining to post things you have done that have resulted in a game crash, or even a total system abort where the game doesn't even start. Here are some of mine;

-outputting a floor button to push itself inwards, resulting in an infinite output overload.
-accidentally parenting two objects to each other as being both parents, breaking any notion of hierarchy.
-making cubes spawn where a previous has fizzled, thereby making infinite cubes fizzle and overloading the map.
-creating a scene where a cube is both killed and fizzled simultaneously, confusing the system on what to do.
-flooding a water area with physboxes and overloading both the friction interaction and splash particles.

Just when I think I understand the system, it changes on me.

Parenting a func_tracktrain to itself and almost deleting half your map because you can't figure out what's wrong. (True story)

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb

Once, I forgot to set "Use Random Time" to 'Yes' on a logic timer. The result was a cube being spawned every 0.1 seconds, continuously, until the game crashed. I've caused infinite cube spawns a few times with droppers as well.

ImageImage

Buildcubemaps when you're not using a dlc directory.

I crashed maps/games by:

- Bad programming.
- In Portal 1, killing a soundscape.
- Just playing Portal 2 for me.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

Using the "dark" skin on the Chell model. I have no idea what it's for, and I was using it for the Shadows of Time until I realized it was the reason the game kept crashing every few minutes.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Onstarttouch
point_servercommand
command
crash

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

there is seriously a crash command!? Who goes and makes such a thing?!

okay, here's one; Using improper textures/sprites for dynamic entities such as an env_laser with a non-sprite material

Just when I think I understand the system, it changes on me.

having a logic_relay send the cancelpending input to itself.

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.

I managed to crash VBSP once. Don't use two colons in the "instance:obj;input" instance inputs. It took a while to find that particular error.

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]
Page 1 of 2Next