Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Aperture Quality Control-Episode 12: "Aperture Halloween"

Page 1 of 4Next

Aperture Quality Control is a YouTube series where I review new custom maps for Portal 2 in about 5 minutes, or less. I'll be using this thread to post new episodes, which will happen weekly, unless I feel like making more during any given week.

Current Episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00_fjlze44U&feature=youtu.be

I've also started uploading my gameplay footage of the reviewed maps under a separate playlist. These videos are explicitly labeled for spoilers in GIANT RED TEXT on the title card.

That was a pretty awesome review, for how concise it is. The only criticism I have is that you readily spoil the puzzle solutions, which, if you're reviewing for an audience that has not played them yet, kind of ruins the map.

What's your criteria? How do you select which maps to play?

Kaleido wrote:
The only criticism I have is that you readily spoil the puzzle solutions, which, if you're reviewing for an audience that has not played them yet, kind of ruins the map.

Oh shit, I had not thought of that. The problem therein is that without showing footage of any of the puzzles, I don't have much of a video. TLFS is a very short map outside of the 3-4 puzzles that are in it. I might think of something else to emphasize with the little three-point structure that I use.

I'm glad you liked the format, otherwise. :)

Invorxt wrote:
What's your criteria? How do you select which maps to play?

Right now, I am playing maps from the Summer Roundup announcement here on TWP, with the exception of the pilot episode, where I kind of just picked a low-scored map and went with it. That being said, if you know of a really good (or really bad) map that you would like to see in a review, let me know.

New video, featuring ColorCubeMan's "Interlude". This video is pretty short, because so is the map. I'll be covering his sequel map, "Mistral" as well.

EgOaDSSHAAc

Very nice that the series also has positive reviews about recommendable maps. :thumbup:

But because of that - people going to play this because of your recommendation - Kaleido's tipp is really important. In this one you're pretty much spoiling the laser puzzle which took me forever to find out when I played the map. Of course you need footage, but it probably shouldn't show the final step of a puzzle.

zivi7 wrote:
Very nice that the series also has positive reviews about recommendable maps. :thumbup:

But because of that - people going to play this because of your recommendation - Kaleido's tipp is really important. In this one you're pretty much spoiling the laser puzzle which took me forever to find out when I played the map. Of course you need footage, but it probably shouldn't show the final step of a puzzle.

Yeah, the problem with Interlude is the length of the map. It's hard to not show the puzzles, since they are a large part of the map. I tried not to explicitly show the entire puzzle in the video, and when I showed parts of it, it was only for a few seconds.

I suppose it's more challenging to make a video review than doing a walkthrough with commentary.
Just an optional suggestion, you may want to PM the author asking about any easter eggs or hidden stuff in their map in case you may have missed them. Hidden stuff may be worth mentioning in the video, depending on what it is.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

Episode 3 is live, featuring Mistral, the sequel to Interlude.

vMrjy69nJCE

Episode 4 is live, featuring p0rtalplayer's "Photonic".

iCoLxhdo4WA

Page 1 of 4Next