Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[WIP] The next best thing since the portal gun

Hi folks.

I wrote an automatic map installer for Portal 2.

All you need to do to install a map is to save a fresh map or map archive (zip, rar, ...) into

DocumentsPortal 2 Map Downloads (can be changed at will)

and it will get installed instantly.

You can even start the new map from the Extras menu.

For the relevant links refer to the information in my signature.

Edit:
I totally forgot to mention that the program is capable of installing .vpk files - even though .vpk support is broken since the DLC. It does that by unpacking the .vpk (vpk files are just a fancy type of archive) and installing the individual files in it.

However, this requires the developer tools to be installed. The program provides a menu option to install these.

Portal 2 Map Tool - The most convenient way to install and play custom maps
Video

Cool, it looks ever so slightly easier then copying the files yourself to a shortcut on the desktop...

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."

Yes, it's easy.

To the 4 or 5 guys who have downloaded 0.7 and seen issues... These issues should be fixed in 0.8.
Thank you for your patients, err, patience.

Video

Ive got issues with the installer, I would have loved to use it but unfortunately it always gives me an error message "Could not open the p2mi.exe.log file or something like that, and theres no such file in the install folder as I tried to find it. Im using Win7 x64 and Ive just installed Portal 2 and Steam and stuff, so it should be a clean installation. I also tried the 0.7 version of the Installer, but it gave me the same error message. Can you fix it? Id really love to use the installer, as the manual way of doing things is just a pain in the ass...

The program keeps its data in the program folder - and thus needs write access there which in turn needs admin rights. I gonna change that in the next release. Until then, run it "as administrator".

Personally I have set my UAC settings to "minimum", so I did not notice that myself.

Sry, for the inconvenience.

Video

This program looks cool but unfortunately it doesn't work for me, this is what the log file says:

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "p2mi.py", line 24, in <module>
  File "MyConfig.pyc", line 17, in parse_config
  File "MyConfig.pyc", line 42, in check_download_directory
  File "ConfigParser.pyc", line 610, in get
ConfigParser.NoOptionError: No option 'download_directory' in section: 'p2mw'

I tried both versions of your program (even though the "VERSION.txt" says 0.7 for both), while running as administrator but it still didn't work. I run Windows 7 x86.

The logfile C:Program Files (x86)Portal 2 Map Installerp2mi.exe.log' could not be opened:
[Errno 13] Permission Denied: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Portal 2 Map Installer\p2mi.exe.log'

Please help! I get an error whenever i start it up.

Never mind. Had to run as administrator! :1up: