Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[WIP] Portal: The Quest for Cake

Page 1 of 3Next

This is level 03 of 25 of Portal: The Quest for Cake. The Quest for Cake (TQC) is a single player portal map consisting of 5 levels of brain teasing puzzles. It features its own storyline, voice recordings, and original puzzles.

I decided to release this level as I may very well enter it as part of my october map competition. This level is supposed to be an easy-medium level. It doesn't take long to beat because it warms up the users skills. Please tell me what you think if you play it. I use oppinions to decide how I build my maps in the future.

[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/80/nullchamber01jn6.th.jpg[/img]Image[img]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9632/ss5zj6.th.png[/img]

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]

If you fall into that floor where the button is, you can't get out.
The floor is unaligned by the teleporter
The button needs a longer reset time.

How did you get High dynamic lighting in the map without rebuilding geometry?

Should be able to shoot the ceilingabove and get out, did i accidently add a no_portal there? opps, if i did tomorrow i'll fix it.

EDIT: I just double checked, there is no no_portal on the roof. Just shoot the roof to get out, unless its too small? I wish I could have gotten the voice acting in their on time, I think that would have been neat. I just couldn't come up with any really good material.

The HDR kills it, I need to lower the brightness of the lights. I had someone else compile it in hl2dm for me with HDR and built cube maps.

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]
Quote:
Game Visuals
5/5
Greaty rooms, quite difficult to get around too

Sound Quality
5/5
About the only sounds were the platform and the voice at the start.

Puzzle Difficulty
5/5
Very trickey, took me a while to figure out how to do it.

General Gameplay Feel
4/5
Exciting but the sentry kept on ruining it.

You can make a portal up there but only if you are standing underneath it.
Too much of an angle

Suffice to say it took me about 5 deaths to even figure out what the button did and I didn't manage to complete it... V.Hard.

Only a spider trusts the web

Very nice. Challenging at first, trying different ways to do it. The turret was a little pest though. Very awsome map. Keep up the work Null :D

Game Visuals
4/5
Beautiful map, I noticed one or two spots that leaked. The spot that stood out to me was right before you entered the elevator, just a little leak. I loved that gman was in the window, made me laugh.

Sound Quality
3/5
Sounds were well inserted. I liked the general feel of the room, the sounds came of as murky and claustrophobic. However, the voice of GlaDOS kept repeating itself every time I went over to the initial starting point.

Puzzle Difficulty
4/5
The puzzle began a little misleading, as you couldn't see what the button did, unless you left your safe little corner. I liked how the puzzle was, in essence, very simple, but the options given made it difficult to get just the right order in there. I very much enjoyed this puzzle. The timer really threw me off as I was sure I didn't have time to solve the puzzle in time.

General Gameplay Feel
5/5
That turret sucked (Perfect placement to add annoyance). I was very impressed with how solid this short map was. For as small as the room was, it took me a suprisingly long time to get through it.

Ways to beat the puzzle: 1 that I could find.

Game Visuals: 4
Nice textures, good lighting.

Puzzle Difficulty: 3
I think the time on the button is just a bit to short, I could never get there in time and could never finish the map.
Also the turret kept killing me, maybe add some cover. IMO, turrets should deny access to an area until they are taken out. This map forced exposure to the turret to much, and after getting shot multiple time I got killed.

Gameplay: 3
Short, but it's a WIP. And it's a good level and well set up puzzle.

Its obvious to know what the button does if u have headphones or speakers :D

As beautifully amazing as it looks, I hope you're going to release all 25 in a loading sequenced pack at the end of development. I don't want to play them seperately.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Page 1 of 3Next