Please or Register to create posts and topics.

When are you going to start mapping with Portals?

Are you going to complete Portal, then start mapping? Cache the game then start mapping? Or something completely different.

Views and stuff.

Kthx. :D

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I've already started some basic ideas for maps, but it's all pretty moot until the actual SDK update comes out. Theoretically the player's weight/momentum/physics and everything should be the same as in all other Source games so you can kind of guess at stuff.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Aye, I believe though falldamage has been taken out of the game, either that or drastically lowered.

Gamespots review on the Orange Box discusses that in their Portal segment of the review.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I don't remember where I've read that, but some review talks about something like a "Funelling" checkbox in the options about disabling falling damage.

About the main topic, I would play first Portal when it's out, then Episode Two, and then I would immediatly start to map on Portal on a secret project I have in mind.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

According the the Gamespot interview with Doug Lombardi in the video thread, you only take fall damage when you fuck up and/or fall in a pit of "poisonous water", and not when you successfuly perform a portal fling. I hope there is a way to turn fall damage back on to make user maps that more difficult - That, or we'll just have to put trigger_hurts at the bottom of our traps. ;)

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
- That, or we'll just have to put trigger_hurts at the bottom of our traps. ;)

Or we can just slap a few explosives and turrets with some info_Targets ontrigger. :D

According to the commentary she does not get hurt by falling because she whears spring like instruments on her legs you can see it ingame.

Old thread is old.