Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Too Many Items when there weren't a second ago.

So, I just spent the better part of an hour trimming a few lights out, and (apparently) removing solid blocks to get the level to compile, after editing for an hour without testing the ability to compile to 30%. Whoops.

Anyway, I finally got it to play, and did a final play-test. I then switched portal-ability on a few panels and hit the publish button. All of a sudden, Too Many Items. Does something get added when you press Publish or something? Because now I can't get it to compile at all, and I really can't afford to remove any more items! There's already three dark hallways because of the trimming I've had to do. Any info at all would be awesome.

EDIT: Well, I managed to fix it up without removing TOO many items, replaced a second lift with a block protrusion. Doesn't look as nice, but gets the job done. Also removed some stairs and placed another portal-able panel instead. But it all still works. Sorry for the junk-thread. Still, it'd be nice to know why it went from letting me compile it to not. I thought it had all the Workshop entities in it from the start, at least, I thought it would to make things more straightforward.

you could also do like you did before, use the puzzle_maker export option, open the vmf and compile it hammer.

I believe the cap in the PTI is somewhat lower then the hammer cap, only to prevent some issues,so if you compile your PTI map through hammer it should work.

Here is a link to a useful Steam forum thread that talks about the "too many items" error and how many entities are associated with each item:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2703507)

Apparently, movable items require many entities.

As strange as it is, the item count seems to vary from build to build apparently. So while 1750 is the hard cap, you're better off playing it safe and putting yourself at 1600 or something.

The elevators contain a lot of entities, which need to be added when you publish.

Falsi sumus crusto!
JustaLackey wrote:
As strange as it is, the item count seems to vary from build to build apparently. So while 1750 is the hard cap, you're better off playing it safe and putting yourself at 1600 or something.

Fun fact: the hard cap of 1750 is already in the save zone. The real cap is around 2000 I believe, but with the better save than sorry idea valve lowered the cap to 1750.

That's strange because at just breaking even with 1750, I still get missing items here and there. Like puddles of paint that should be there, aren't.