Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Test Chamber 4 - Portal Style (video + Screenies included!)

Page 1 of 6Next

Hi all! I have constructed from scratch test chamber 4, like how it looks in Portal 2!
Now please keep in mind a few things:

1. This is a look-alike project, it is NOT meant to be exact or close-to-exact copy.
2. This was an art project, so it will most likely not get released, plus it is really short so there's no real puzzle in it...
3. I made this map from scratch. That means all custom textures, the brushwork, the door and box dropper models I have all made. Obviously the VALVe stuff I did not make, but I did not use anything from the P2 collab.

Here's a video of the map:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDez2R1Wis

(please note I had problems with codecs so it is too fast even with host_framerate 30 and sound has been replaced. Also youtube/WMM destroyed the quality a fair bit.)

Screenies:

refrence pic:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _04_P2.jpg
(had to link, too big for site)

Crits, comments, etc. are welcome! :D

The texture on your door looks like garbage around the edges. Pretty cool I guess, but like with all of the Portal 2 recreations, I can't help but think "why". Doesn't Portal 2 come out in like 5 months? I guess we couldn't wait?

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
The texture on your door looks like garbage around the edges. Pretty cool I guess, but like with all of the Portal 2 recreations, I can't help but think "why". Doesn't Portal 2 come out in like 5 months? I guess we couldn't wait?

Well in this case the purpose was to practice source mapping. Yes models are not my strong point and I couldn't fnd a good way to add a border aound the door. (plus due to the way it is lit it looks like one big grey color, trust me it isn't)

And yes some people cannot wait. Myself included. :P But again this was mostly for practice.

This is actually pretty cool. Like msleeper, I am against the portal 2 in portal 1 bandwagon, because it seems like a waste of time, but your map here is probably the best one I've seen. Good job.

The thing about using Portal 2 textures is...they look very sexy compared to the dull blues of Portal 1.

I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
/?/___________________________________
| BBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGG!!!
\_\???????????????????????????????????
_|_

Very nice work. I can see someone getting a headstart on portal 2 mapping ;)

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

Why not ask reepblue to use his portal 2 door? It looks fantastic with the P2 collab.

I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
_|_
Whysopro? wrote:
Why not ask reepblue to use his portal 2 door? It looks fantastic with the P2 collab.

I wanted to make it purely on my own, for both practice and to test my mapping skills. Even though the models suck I made them nevertheless.

Oh YOU made all those textures! Okay yes now I understand. Extremely good job here! :notworthy:

O o
_|_

Decided to try my hand at Chamber 3. Here's what I got so far:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2is8a6b.png

Original at right obviously. What do you think?

Page 1 of 6Next