Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Vestibule

Page 1 of 2Next

Vestibule is a map with two difficult puzzles that require 'outside-the-box' thinking. Not recommended for new players. Comes with HDR and contains a few easter eggs as well.

Click here to download Vestibule

Very nice chambers! Obviously they look great, and the solutions are clever and clean. Well done!

Excellent map, really well done! Enjoyed it very much :thumbup:
Here's my blindrun:
wZ_IBMxO2DQ

Tell me if there are any unintended solutions! ;)

Feedback

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

5/5. Excellent.
Thanks for mapping! :thumbup:
Cheers! :)

There's a certain artform that comes with creating a perfect test.

Firstly, making it look pretty. That's not especially difficult, but it takes time to get it to took really good. This map looks absolutely stunning, so you've obviously got the aesthetic part down pat.

The second thing is the difficulty. There's a fine line between 'too hard' and 'challenging but fun'. The key thing is to keep the player interested, thinking "I'm so close, all I need is just this last step". You've done that here. Despite it's difficulty, I was in that 'so close' mindset the whole time, and it made finishing it so rewarding.

That said, this is pretty much the perfect test. Well done, my friend :thumbup:

ImageImage
RectorRocks wrote:
Here's my blindrun:
-snip-

Thanks for the video! I fixed most of the issues you found. Your solution for the 1st chamber wasn't intended, but I think I'll leave it in, since 'fixing' it would make the intended solution far more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Also, does anyone know of a way to make it so players can't grab boxes through grates? My current setup is a non-solid func_brush, playerclip, and func_clip_vphysics.

Idolon wrote:
Comes with HDR

Umm is there anything special about compiling HDR?, I assumed everyone does a full final compile before release :lol:

Very visually stunning map, I used portal bumping as well, seemed like the only way in.

Make the grate a func_detail if you dont want someone to grab through it, that tends to work as far as I can remember. However the setup you are using is needed if you need to fire portals behind the grate.

Very good map Idolon! :thumbup: I wouldn't elevate it to the same level of perfection as srs bsnss did :lol: , but it's an awesome map! About the puzzles, the second one seemed to me kind of familiar, reminded me of any of Gig maps or something but I felt it a bit straight forward. However I loved that the size of both chambers were exactly the size required and not any single inch more :D

Detailing was incredible! Really well done! I didn't find any easter egg in the first run but I'm curious to find them, so I'll return! :)

Idolon wrote:
Also, does anyone know of a way to make it so players can't grab boxes through grates? My current setup is a non-solid func_brush, playerclip, and func_clip_vphysics.

The problem is that you can place a portal near the grate, not your setup, your setup is correct. If you want to avoid that, leave at least 32 units from the grate to the white tiles :wink:

Playthrough video (one hour still remaining):

s-ojD2VJKrw

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Great one! Nice medium difficulty and the map looks splendid. The second puzzle was really good and I really enjoyed how all the pieces snapped together.

There are 2 solutions to both chambers but I think they don't need fixing. For the first chamber my solution video shows the other one (other one showed in jose's video) but for the second chamber there is an another solution which doesn't require for you to destroy a cube. Both solutions work good for both chambers so no problems here.

My solution video:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

That sure is a nice map you got there. It would be a shame if someone broke it.

My maps: Bits , Color Me Rainbow and Spank Me Skyward

...aaaand, once again, we can't watch Shakky's video because he has once again run afoul of the YT video police. Have you ever considered making your own music or maybe using something from the public domain? The point of these forums is to help people make better maps. It is not to show off your eclectic musical tastes.

That was fantastic, well done. Like others have said the multiple solutions are not a big deal so do not worry about fixing them (in my opinion). Both the visuals and puzzles were a lot of fun.

Page 1 of 2Next