Please or Register to create posts and topics.

?Questions?Could you guys please help me out on mapping?

1.I got a PC and a laptop.I first edited the map with ingame editor,and now I want to edit it in the laptop.Which files are supposed to be copied to the laptop?I've already copied the portal 2/portal 2/maps/puzzlemaker/(numbers)/(numbers).bsp ,anything else?

2.There is a way to apply different texture to different surface of a solid object but I don't know how.For instance there is a wall,I want to make the front side something white and the back side something black.I've tried in the hammer with the menu at the top "instance-->collapse" but it says 0 has been collapsed.How to make this happen?

For 1, you need the .vmf file. This can be aquired by pressing the ~ key within the PTI editor (in game editor), which will bring up a developer console. If it doesn't, make sure 'enable developer console' is on in the options. When you open the console, type puzzlemaker_export (map name)
Obviously, replace (map name) with the name of your map. When that's done, you will find a .vmf file with that name in your Portal2/sdk_content/maps folder.
When it comes to hammer files, the .vmf file is the file that hammer reads, and the .bsp file is the file that the game reads. When you use a blender, you add in all of the ingredients, press start, and then get a delicious smoothly. Now, think of hammer as the blender, the .vmf file as the ingredients, and the smoothie as the .bsp. Hammer uses what it has loaded and turns it into the final product.

With the multiple textures on one object, it's very simple. You need to select the tool on te left that looks like a block with different pictures on the sides. A little window will pop up with a buch of texturing tools. Go into your 3D veiw and click on the face you want to change the texture of. Then, where the picture of the texture is, click 'browse'. It will bring you to a giant list of textures. From there, double click the texture you want and then click apply on the little window. The texture should change on the face. If you want, you can close the window now. If you want to set one texture on multiple faces, select all of the faces and then select your texture, and it will be applied to them all.

Good luck with your mapping!

(Now to rest my fingers... I typed that on my iPhone.)

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb

If you want to continue editing your map in the PTI on a different computer, copy "portal 2/portal2/puzzles/<numbers>/<numbers>.p2c". You might want to copy over the screenshots as well.

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]

oh buddy great thanks for such detailed tutorial,I understand all the things at once !

Arachnaphob wrote:
For 1, you need the .vmf file. This can be aquired by pressing the ~ key within the PTI editor (in game editor), which will bring up a developer console. If it doesn't, make sure 'enable developer console' is on in the options. When you open the console, type puzzlemaker_export (map name)
Obviously, replace (map name) with the name of your map. When that's done, you will find a .vmf file with that name in your Portal2/sdk_content/maps folder.
When it comes to hammer files, the .vmf file is the file that hammer reads, and the .bsp file is the file that the game reads. When you use a blender, you add in all of the ingredients, press start, and then get a delicious smoothly. Now, think of hammer as the blender, the .vmf file as the ingredients, and the smoothie as the .bsp. Hammer uses what it has loaded and turns it into the final product.

With the multiple textures on one object, it's very simple. You need to select the tool on te left that looks like a block with different pictures on the sides. A little window will pop up with a buch of texturing tools. Go into your 3D veiw and click on the face you want to change the texture of. Then, where the picture of the texture is, click 'browse'. It will bring you to a giant list of textures. From there, double click the texture you want and then click apply on the little window. The texture should change on the face. If you want, you can close the window now. If you want to set one texture on multiple faces, select all of the faces and then select your texture, and it will be applied to them all.

Good luck with your mapping!

(Now to rest my fingers... I typed that on my iPhone.)

TeamSpen210 wrote:
If you want to continue editing your map in the PTI on a different computer, copy "portal 2/portal2/puzzles/<numbers>/<numbers>.p2c". You might want to copy over the screenshots as well.

uh oh seems i only got the .bsp,got to edit next time.