Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal Peer Grading System

The following will be the map scoring system that is used within the forum for users to grade eachother with. Scores will be graded from 1 to 5. 1 being the worst, and 5 being the best.

Game Visuals
Lighting, textures and everything else, visually. A score of 5 will be given to those who pay specific attention to lighting, adding a large amount of attractive detail to the surrounding map, and cleaning up overlapping textures and inconsistencies, etc.

Sound Quality
Sounds are immersive and well placed to create a realistic feel. A score of 5 will be given to those who design dynamic sound that will stay within the confines of it's space and keep the player immersed.

Puzzle Difficulty
How hard the puzzle is to finish versus how tedious the puzzle is. A score of 5 will be given to those who keep the player guessing without misleading the player to dead ends and annoyances. The player should continue to be immersed within gameplay even during stressful puzzles.

General Gameplay Feel
Consisting of the quality of how the player moves through the map. A score of 5 will be given to those who prevent players from becoming stuck on ledges, paying attention to and preventing areas that the player may find him/herself stuck to the point of having to restart. Adding autosaves, puzzle hints, etc. Keeping the map small and well processed to prevent players from having slowdown issues. And ensuring all triggers work well together, avoiding bugs and stop-ups.

Different methods useable to defeat puzzles

How many ways found to beat a specific map. This is not actually a part of the final score, this will just inform the map creator of alternate methods to defeat their course.

Thats quite well thought out.

Need someone to release a map now to test it :D

one question

if you release a map and its rated, would you have the ability to take that feedback, and re-release and have it re-rated again?

this might help people get a sense of what they need to do to make the map better.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

There's a difference between releasing a map as a Work In Progress and getting feedback, and making a full Release. I'd suggest to anyone to have more than a few people playtest your map, get feedback, and fine tune the map before making a wide release.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Re-releasing could be ok, but as long as you don't change 1 thing then release it in a new topic ;)

what I mean by re-releasing is say it was someone's first map, and they get say a good score on puzzle and difficulty but a low score on appearance. They continue to make maps getting better at it, and want to go back and redo something that had a low score.

I dont see why that would be a problem, just rename the map to like beta2.0
however, there should probably be some rule on not resubmitting over and over again really quickly.

y-aji wrote:
I dont see why that would be a problem, just rename the map to like beta2.0
however, there should probably be some rule on not resubmitting over and over again really quickly.

I agree

a re-release should be an obvious reworking of the level.
for minor changes, there should just be a version number.
1.1-1.9 would be minor changes
2.0 would be a re-release and would have to differ from 1.0 enough to be re-rated

Artesia wrote:
I agree

a re-release should be an obvious reworking of the level.
for minor changes, there should just be a version number.
1.1-1.9 would be minor changes
2.0 would be a re-release and would have to differ from 1.0 enough to be re-rated

Agreed.