Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal Music

Where's the list of all music used in Portal? I would like to use them for my own maps.

Besides that, how can I actually put any music in my map?

ty alrdy.

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.

You can free the music from Valve's GCF container format with a utility called GCFScape. (Look in Portal Content.GCF). That should have all the music in among the sound files.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Very simply to get music to play, just make a block with the trigger tool brush, and tie the entity trigger_once to it. Name it something appropriate. Once you have that, create the entity ambient_generic, name it something appropriate, and select the sound (or song) you want to it to play in properties. Then, go into the outputs in properties of the trigger block and set it to; OnStartTouch | <ambient_generic's name> | PlaySound | none |. Now just load it up and walk through the trigger, and the music should play.

P.S. If you're looking for the song that plays when you're headed into the fire pit, It's called 4000 Degrees Kelvin.

if you're looking for the ambient music, and not a "song" then you use env_soundscape, the soundscapes are listed in a txt document in portal directory somewhere, each one is comprised of several songs that play in a sequence, read the txt document and you can search the gfc and listen to those bits and decide which soundscape you'd like to use where.

the way they work, is once you can see the soundscap and are within its range it starts playing, and will continue to play until you trigger the next soundscape. this way you can have different music say in a tight area as opposed to a wide open chamber, and you don't have to use a million triggers to play sounds.

hope this helped

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

thanks for all the explaination, I know alot more now.

But now I've encountered a new problem, I've placed a Ambient_generic in my map, and searched for the sound: musicportal_android_hell.mp3. I selected it and pressed play. No music played...

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.

nvm it works now...

but another problem, the sound doesn't follow the player and it comes from one spot of the map. How can I make it behave like music and not like background sound?

Bulska wrote:
nvm it works now...

but another problem, the sound doesn't follow the player and it comes from one spot of the map. How can I make it behave like music and not like background sound?

"Play everywhere" flag in ambient_generic.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

ty