Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal-Ception

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next
msleeper wrote:
I don't know why everyone is so impressed with world portal gimmicks.

Peons don't listen to dev commentaries and as such are surprised

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... ortal_door

There really isn't anything special or impressive about this.

Vordwann wrote:
"It's craaaaaaaaazy how this guy made a portal. Wow. In the steam engine."

That is quite amazing... Steam engine powered portals you say?

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

OK, first of all, that gate is absolutely impressive! I had the chance to test it myself because Damagepy sent to me that map for checking long ago, and I got very impressed on how good that gate looked.

Also it has to be commented how easily Damapegy polishes and details anything he makes in a short time (this was made in only some hours): all those props for the gate, the bottom part emitting the red light, the upper slots where the gate connects... the dirty fizzler texture in the direction of the destroyed room, the sprites and env_beams.

Anyway, I remember I also said to him it reminded me of Stargate... but I keep good memories about that movie.

Nacimota wrote:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik%20...%20ortal_door

There really isn't anything special or impressive about this.

Well, I DO like world portals when they are used moderately and with a certain style like in this case. I like the 2 versions of the same room separated by a "time" door... Also with a good soundscript it can frighten the player or make him feel in another world... I think this entity is useful in a sci-fi game, that's all.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
[insert josepezdj's post here]

I agree - I've seen this idea done a couple of times before, but never looking quite this good.

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
---------------------------
msleeper wrote:
Also something like this has been done before a few times. The first example I can think of is time arch.

First example I can think of is in the main game when you portal into Wheatley's trap where he tries to shoot you with defective turrets. So there.

Current Community Contributor status: not a community contributor. Lost it. :(

Yeah but that's not a gimmick, that's just using worldportals the way they're meant to be used.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
RubbishyUsername wrote:
First example I can think of is in the main game when you portal into Wheatley's trap where he tries to shoot you with defective turrets. So there.

I think they also use it when you plunge into the incinerator. (The map is sp_a1_wakeup if anyone is interested).

My two pence on world portals: sometimes they can create a cool effect, but they're very easy to make frustrating from the player's point of view.

I think the best example was a map where gravity 'flipped' so that the ceiling became the floor if you went high enough. That's not the best description; it's probably clearer to say that it was made by constructing the two halves of the room separately and then stitching them together with a world-portal ceiling.

Not so fun: puzzles where you have to shoot portals through world-portals. If it's set up like with the Wheatley turrets, (where you don't realise the world portal is there) it's fine. But if you've recognised it as a portal, you treat it like a normal portal, which doesn't let you shoot portals through it.

Also not so fun: creating 'weird' geometry. Maybe a door which leads to two different parts of the map, depending on the side that you enter it from. It's tough enough to wrap the brain around portals that the player places, never mind ones over which the player has no control.

BEARD! wrote:
RubbishyUsername wrote:

I think they also use it when you plunge into the incinerator. (The map is sp_a1_wakeup if anyone is interested).

My two pence on world portals: sometimes they can create a cool effect, but they're very easy to make frustrating from the player's point of view.

I think the best example was a map where gravity 'flipped' so that the ceiling became the floor if you went high enough. That's not the best description; it's probably clearer to say that it was made by constructing the two halves of the room separately and then stitching them together with a world-portal ceiling.

Not so fun: puzzles where you have to shoot portals through world-portals. If it's set up like with the Wheatley turrets, (where you don't realise the world portal is there) it's fine. But if you've recognised it as a portal, you treat it like a normal portal, which doesn't let you shoot portals through it.

Also not so fun: creating 'weird' geometry. Maybe a door which leads to two different parts of the map, depending on the side that you enter it from. It's tough enough to wrap the brain around portals that the player places, never mind ones over which the player has no control.

I don't think world portals were used at all except sp_a4_finale2
P.S it's called sp_a2_intro.
I saw inside the incinerator was a transition trigger.

No, I mean when you get dropped into the incinerator. Noclip inside and it's just a box, but when you get dropped into it, there's suddenly a hole.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next