Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Randomly Crashes With Workshop Maps?

This is specific to the Workshop. Whenever I play custom maps, such as Luna-C or Decay, my game randomly crashes. The map may go on for just a few steps or to a whole room being cleared and then, crash. If I were to play a map created with the in-game editor, it doesn't crash at all. I verified the game cache and that didn't solve it. Any ideas?

This started happening when I was testing the Halloween map for Lpfreaky90 before the workshop release.

Click my Steam Profile image to view my Portal 2 Workshop!

Single Player Tests - Excellent Partnership (Coop) - Single Player BEE Mod Tests

I was having crashes on that new L4D2 custom campaign Back to School. There they suggest to lower the Paged Pool Memory in the Options. Maybe that helps for you in Portal 2 as well?

Actually through trial and error, the problem seems to be how Portal 2 handles undownloaded subscriptions. It passively downloads the next one in the queue as you play one already downloaded. Normally this shouldn't affect my game but recently due to accumulating clutter of unsubscribed items reaching GBs of space, I purged the "%ProgramFiles%Steamsteamappscommonportal 2portal2mapsworkshop" folder. I think that Portal 2 is redownloading everything at once, causing interrupted access to the HDD during the game. Can anyone replicate this?

Single Player Tests - Excellent Partnership (Coop) - Single Player BEE Mod Tests

I would unsubscribe maps you have played / remove them from your queue.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

May I ask a question that maybe is kind of a bit offtopic here?

How the heck could we set our workshop settings so it doesn't record older versions of the maps? I've checked and my maps/workshop folder is a complete mess! I've got empty folders + a lot of folders containing the same map though obviously older versions of them... This is so annoying, and I bet I cannot do much manually myself as long as there's a different content in the cloud... right?

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
May I ask a question that maybe is kind of a bit offtopic here?

How the heck could we set our workshop settings so it doesn't record older versions of the maps? I've checked and my maps/workshop folder is a complete mess! I've got empty folders + a lot of folders containing the same map though obviously older versions of them... This is so annoying, and I bet I cannot do much manually myself as long as there's a different content in the cloud... right?

Bad design all around unfortunately. :thumbdown:

Another thing: My queue has over 50 maps in it! I wish there was a way to organize into "sections" and re-order them easily, if needed. :angrysquare: