Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Elevator Problem

Hello! My name is joatoche and im new on this community. I've been using Hammer for a year and i think i know how to work with it. My plan is create my very first Portal 2 Map Pack but i'm stuck becouse of a little, simple problem. My arrival and departure elevators are not working at all. The error the console gives is: Level not found in elevator motifs. Defaulting to transition. I did modify both the transition list and the elevator motifs properly, i did even use a syntax checker to confirm it has no errors. I think maybe the game is reading a elevator_motifs in the vpk instead of the one in the folder, but im not sure. Please help me, this has stopped my whole project.
:notwant:

EDIT: And about the arrival elevator, i spawn in the middle of my map and not inside the elevator.
OFFTOPIC: I don't know why that signature that says "i don't know what is brush but herd it alot" is there, i didn't written it! And i can't remove it!

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

First of all, check if you have these 3 instances in your map:

- Arrival elevator
- Departure elevator
- Arrival_departure_transition_ents (I think this was the name... :D)

That third instance is located into sdk_content/instances/transitions

Other possibility is that you forgot to erase from inside your map the entity info_player_start (the elevators already have this entity in)

EDIT

joatoche wrote:
OFFTOPIC: I don't know why that signature that says "i don't know what is brush but herd it alot" is there, i didn't written it! And i can't remove it!

That is not your signature (check mine below this post... down there is its position :wink:), that is only a kind of rank... it says so because of the few posts you have posted so far...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

First of all, check if you have these 3 instances in your map:

- Arrival elevator
- Departure elevator
- Arrival_departure_transition_ents (I think this was the name... :D)

That third instance is located into sdk_content/instances/transitions

Other possibility is that you forgot to erase from inside your map the entity info_player_start (the elevators already have this entity in)

EDIT

joatoche wrote:

That is not your signature (check mine below this post... down there is its position :wink:), that is only a kind of rank... it says so because of the few posts you have posted so far...

The problem is: That i want that elevator to go to the next map! And the arrival_departure_ents gives me a portalgun at the start of the map and i don't want that becouse i should pick it up on that map but not on startup.

EDIT: On the first map i DONT come from an elevator, i appear falling from a diversity tube and i fall into a testing track, where i acquire the portalgun. So the problem is not that entity, becouse is not needed for what im doing. My problem is that the game does not recognize my map on the elevator_motifs, and that prevents the elevator from working.

That's a complete different thing than the one I could extract from your first post :)

To get rid of the portalgun, use a trigger_weapon_strip brush entity in your level and set its property "Kill Weapons" to YES.

In order to make this happen smooth and not weirdly, I'd suggest you to edit the arrival_elevator instance and place this entity there so the player triggers it right in the moment that he appears in the elevator model (where he gets his weapon in the first place)

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
That's a complete different thing than the one I could extract from your first post :)

To get rid of the portalgun, use a trigger_weapon_strip brush entity in your level and set its property "Kill Weapons" to YES.

In order to make this happen smooth and not weirdly, I'd suggest you to edit the arrival_elevator instance and place this entity there so the player triggers it right in the moment that he appears in the elevator model (where he gets his weapon in the first place)

And how i fix the "Level not found in elevator motifs"

EDIT: Don't care about the screen or the portalgun, it goes away when i remove the transition ents, and i get rid of the screen with a custom entity :notworthy:.

EDIT: Nope, when i remove entities my elevator doesn't work anymore. I will do a little more editing.

EDIT: It works. I only have to get the departure elevator working...

Try using the wonderful Hardcoded Elevator Instances, which you can download here: http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2071. Swap out your base and logic instances with these and see if it helps.

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
Try using the wonderful Hardcoded Elevator Instances, which you can download here: http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2071. Swap out your base and logic instances with these and see if it helps.

If you are having trouble making the default instances work, save them and edit them to your liking. In one thread I suggested to someone to remove Valve's script so the portalgun didn't spawn and then they could make their own transition script without any problem. I wouldn't go much into scripting as the workshop is where everyone plays your maps - and we all know that you click to go to the next map through the voting dialogue screen.

The main reason why Valve made a script is because they order the maps in any order without having to recompile the maps and it could decide when you will get what portalgun.

If you are interested, you can have my custom instances with a script I made for a mod (with some comments attached so you know what part does what). But probably the easiest thing to do is remove the transition script altogether and just use a trigger_changelevel or point_changelevel with a trigger at the bottom of the elevator shaft which changes the level to your next wanted one. OnStartTouch -> point_changelevel -> ChangeLevel -> [Map Name]

What Valve does and what's broken

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

If I'm missing anything here that you would like to know about, give me a buzz.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
ChickenMobile wrote:
FelixGriffin wrote:

If you are having trouble making the default instances work, save them and edit them to your liking. In one thread I suggested to someone to remove Valve's script so the portalgun didn't spawn and then they could make their own transition script without any problem. I wouldn't go much into scripting as the workshop is where everyone plays your maps - and we all know that you click to go to the next map through the voting dialogue screen.

The main reason why Valve made a script is because they order the maps in any order without having to recompile the maps and it could decide when you will get what portalgun.

If you are interested, you can have my custom instances with a script I made for a mod (with some comments attached so you know what part does what). But probably the easiest thing to do is remove the transition script altogether and just use a trigger_changelevel or point_changelevel with a trigger at the bottom of the elevator shaft which changes the level to your next wanted one. OnStartTouch -> point_changelevel -> ChangeLevel -> [Map Name]

What Valve does and what's broken

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

If I'm missing anything here that you would like to know about, give me a buzz.

Well, i was thinking of distributing my map as a map pack and not inside the Workshop but just figured that i could get more public in the Workshop. Well, if i do use the "hardcoded" instance, it will work properly with the Workshop?

Bump

Yes, I'm pretty sure they will work with the workshop, if VALVE has not changed something again.

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information