Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Please recommend mapping tutorials for a fast-learning n00b!

Hey guys, the last time I made a map it was for Quake, and that was ten years ago. So I am basically a re-n00b. I have a bunch of great Portal puzzles sketched out, but first I need to relearn the basics.

Can you gurus link/recommend some really good Hammer tutorials? Ideally I'm looking for like a series of lessons on basic topics like setting up the editor, building architecture, texturing, lighting, scripting, etc. I'm trying to ramp up fast, and I think a well-organized site with a lot of existing content would really help.

So, what should I check out? And thanks!

Cr00ked.

this is what I used: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Getting_Started
Its a multiple page tutorial taking you through most things you need to know

Interlopers.net is a good place too.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I made a couple of video tutorials for new beginners that wish to learn how to make a new map for the very beginning for half-life 2.

I suggest watching this then looking through the rest of youtube for tutorials on making doors, glass... and so on.

HL2 Mapping Tutorial, Your first Map: Part 1
HL2 Mapping Tutorial, Your first Map: Part 2

I would say approximately 100% of the stuff you remember from quake still applies, there is now just extra stuff here and there :wink:

Portal has been the first time I have done any serious mapping post source myself.

Only a spider trusts the web

Thanks y'all. Good lookin' out.

Mapster, I just watched your youtube vids and now I'm checking out a few more. Thanks! It hadn't even occurred to me to look for this on youtube.

I bookmarked the Valve wiki and Interlopers.net, too. It'll take me a couple of days to really dig into those. Thanks everybody for the help.

Cr00ked.

I use http://www.halfwit-2.com for my tutortials.
There are over 150 now I think!

Nicely catorgorised, and with the example VMF's aswell.

"Aperture Science does not take any responsibility to physical harm or injury sustained through 'thinking with portals' outside of the test chambers"

Yeah I forget about half-wit, they are pretty good too.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Thanks, McNasty. I'll check it out.

Cr00ked.