Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Models not showing up in map ("ERROR")

Page 1 of 2Next

I followed this guide:
http://wiki.thinkingwithportals.com/wiki/Hammer_Setup

I can create a room, put an player start, and set up basic geometry. When I'm creating a "lamp" so theres a logical light source in the map, I get a big red "ERROR" model instead of the lamp I chose.

I'm assuming this is because the model is in HL2 or something other than Portal. Correct?

How can I find just portal models? I tried to filter "portal" but that only shows about 10 things in the world model window, and I know there are more than that.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm new to this whole hammer thing but portal inspired me to learn.

-G

At the left of every model in the list there is a game tag. It should say "Portal", not "HL2".

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

It Doesn't....

I have HL2, HL2:DM, and CS:S.

Following that guide I posted above...it looks like i'm importing everything into HL2:DM.

Is there a better way to do it?

Did you put the portal.fgd in the options?

Yes...I'll post a screenshot of what I'm talking about. By following that guide, I think it put everything under hl2dm.

Look under props. Not portal. Within props, the base folder (dont look within the folders in props). Just click on props and then in the menu directly below the folder browser is the model browser, look through that. If you dont see them in there, let me know and we can try to figure out what you are missing.
:D enjoy, and make us something aweseome! haha

Thanks for helping me out with this :)

Ok, here's all props...says only 13 have 'portal' in it. See screenshot....

Most of them don't have "portal" in the name, I think a lot of them are in props_bts. Search around the folders, or look for the models in where you extracted the GCF.

Also, if you are getting ERROR in-game, then you probably mis-extracted something. I'd suggest deleting everything you extracted and starting over from step 1 on the Hammer Setup Guide.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Ok, I'll try deleting HL2DM from steam, and the
C:Program FilesSteamsteamappsusernameHL2DM
dir.

Re-download and reextract.

See how it goes :)

Thanks and cheers!

gromitigo wrote:
Ok, I'll try deleting HL2DM from steam, and the
C:Program FilesSteamsteamappsusernameHL2DM
dir.

Re-download and reextract.

See how it goes :)

Thanks and cheers!

All you have to do is delete the hl2 dm folder and then open it up again and it will create all the files u need again...

Page 1 of 2Next