Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Loading custom maps (without using steam?)

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi all!

I was looking in the forums if it was possible to load custom maps in Portal 2, but I did not find the info I needed.
So if someone knows how to do this (f it is possible), please reply!

thanks

Need a testpartner or playtester for your map?
-- Send a PM! --

Custom maps are loaded using the map command in the developer console.

What is it exactly that you mean by "without using steam"?

I read in the forums that the .bsp files should be placed in /Steam/Steamapps/Portal/... etc.
But what if I don't want to use Steam? Can I just paste maps in the original Portal2 gamefolder (oreven better, create a folder in there)?

-- Send a PM! --

PC and Mac copies of Portal 2 require steam to run. Did you purchase Portal 2 legally?

Yes, and I am able to run the game without logging in to Steam (is that weird?)

(Sorry, Im not so familiar with using Steam games :P)

Because I usually play via LAN, I don't need Steam to contact to other player, so thats why I was wondering if it is possible to load maps directly from the Portal game folder?
If not, I just should use Steam, but hey. I can ask right? :D

-- Send a PM! --

Usually everything you do in game would be done locally. The 'map' command should work fine.

I don't know how you managed to run Portal 2 running over a LAN without getting into steam though. Tis weird.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

If you don't have portal 2 in your steam folder, then you haven't gotten it legally.

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

It does show up in the steam folder. All I'm asking is whether I can load maps from directories other than the Steam location. Or would that mess up the game?

-- Send a PM! --

No you can't, it has to be "in the Steam folder".

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Ok, thank you! :)

-- Send a PM! --
Page 1 of 2Next