Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I have a basic Hammer question related to a TF2 map

Hi,

I'm currently working on a TF2 map, so I figure Off Topic is the best place to put this, although my question relates to using Hammer for pretty much any game.

I was messing around with designing a building, and now I have something I really like. It's three floors with good flow and stairwells and balconies, etc, with a working spawn room. Now I'd like to use it as one of the two bases in a CTF map. What I'd like to do is copy EVERYTHING -- the brushes, the models, the entities, and not miss a thing, and add it to the other end of the same map. I have a feeling there must be a much easier way than ctrl+rt-clicking each individual thing to add it to what I copy. I thought maybe I could draw a box around it all in 2D top and copy everything in the box, but that hasn't worked.

What's the procedure?

Thanks.

Grabbing everything in the 2D view is the way to go. You'll need to hit enter after drawing the box to select everything. Then, a simple shift+drag or ctrl+c/ctrl+v will copy everything. There's also an option for having the selection box automatically select everything (Options > 2D views > Automatic infinite selection in 2D windows (no ENTER)). I personally have it enabled, but I know most people don't like it.

Note that a lot of your entities will have to be renamed and have their i/o stuff rerouted, so that the two bases don't interfere with each other. A common bug occurs when people copy/paste door prefabs, which causes triggers to open doors on the other side of the map.

Idolon wrote:
Note that a lot of your entities will have to be renamed and have their i/o stuff rerouted, so that the two bases don't interfere with each other. A common bug occurs when people copy/paste door prefabs, which causes triggers to open doors on the other side of the map.

Definitely. Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for! :thumbup: