Please or Register to create posts and topics.

how do i make a portal 2 sourcemod?

Page 1 of 3Next

hi. i know there's maybe a thread here already somewhere, but...

how do i make a stand alone portal 2 mod? like, the kind that shows up in steam library with custom logo etc. the system error 51 thing doesn't work for me.

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.

http://bit.ly/1dTCtHd

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."

Actually; the vdc page about this is totally silly, I should update it, but I don't have the time atm.

Anyways:
Step 1: Create a folder in your sourcemods folder:
so steam/steamapps/sourcemods/myfirstmod

Step 2: in that folder; create a cfg folder and a maps folder.

Step 3: in the maps folder create a soundcache folder
(so steam/steamapps/sourcemods/myfirstmod/maps/soundcache) and copy your _master.cache from your original portal 2.

Step 4:
Write your gameinfo.txt:

Code: Select all
"GameInfo"
{
    game        "My first mod"
    title       "My first mod"

gamelogo    1

SupportsDX8     0
    SupportsXbox360 1

FileSystem
    {
        SteamAppId 620      // Portal 2 has ID 620
        ToolsAppId 211      // Hammer

SearchPaths
        {
            Game                |gameinfo_path|.
            Game                portal2
        }
    }
}

Step 5:
use gcfscape to grab mainmenu_new.res from the portal2/portal2_dlc2 vpk.
(in there it's resource/ui/basemodui ) ; edit it, and make it into a vpk with the same structure.

Step 6:
restart steam

Step 7:
profit!

WARNING: for some reason mods download all the workshop content again -_- so you might want to keep that in mind; it might take up more space than you planned. You can create a /workshop/ folder in maps and revoke write access to it to prevent it, this will spam red errors in the console though.

thanks. :)

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.

just a thought here, but isn't the play button broken in the main menu?

"Could a moron PUNCH YOU INTO THIS PIT?!?! HUH? COULD A MORON DO THAT!?!?" "Yes, Wheatley. Yes, a moron could do that..."

Do you mean replacing it with the extras menu? I don't know, because there are some Portal 2 mods out there that use the regular play button.

yishbarr wrote:
Do you mean replacing it with the extras menu? I don't know, because there are some Portal 2 mods out there that use the regular play button.

nah I mean that it gets you stuck in a black screen loop that you can do nothing with. maybe it's cuz I was using the wrong technique. I used the system error 51 way.

EDIT: nevermind, now it just crashes... a CTD

"Could a moron PUNCH YOU INTO THIS PIT?!?! HUH? COULD A MORON DO THAT!?!?" "Yes, Wheatley. Yes, a moron could do that..."

SE51's tut is outdated. Things need to be changed around.

yeah i actually started over with the one here and that's what brought it to crashing

yishbarr wrote:

what mods use that? All mods I've seen so far use the extra's menu modification. If someone actually got he real singleplayer menu modded, I'll happily steal their code :D

Page 1 of 3Next