Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Elevator - fade - new level

Page 1 of 2Next

How would you set up an elevator to close, go down, fade to black then load the next map?

Fade is fairly simple, just put a walk-in trigger that will cue:
env_fade

And set up all the parameters.

As for the going down part, I think thats just visual effects, probably some lights that look like they're moving followed by a level change.

I have submitted a snap-in template you can download that I think is solid in the downloads section for the elevator.

If nothing else, you can download it and compare it to what you are doing.

the elevator actually does move. it has a trigger to a env_transition and env_changelevel. the reason you hear the elevator noise is because the soundscape's radius is covers just after the start of the elevator and the end. Env_fade works as well. the game also has a point_clientcommand to disconnect or quit the user if the elevator ever gets to the top. thats used for bonus maps. the campaign maps have landmarks that can be used to transition into the next level, which is triggered before it ever gets to the last node of the elevator.

edit: also, the elevator uses an env_shake

ebola wrote:
the elevator actually does move. it has a trigger to a env_transition and env_changelevel. the reason you hear the elevator noise is because the soundscape's radius is covers just after the start of the elevator and the end. Env_fade works as well. the game also has a point_clientcommand to disconnect or quit the user if the elevator ever gets to the top. thats used for bonus maps. the campaign maps have landmarks that can be used to transition into the next level, which is triggered before it ever gets to the last node of the elevator.

edit: also, the elevator uses an env_shake

Really.. huh.. I didn't figure they were actually moving the elevator. That's cool to know.

Partially true, in the maps where you ride an elevator and don't change levels, the elevator actually does move.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

all of the levels use elevators that move. i noticed this even before i decompiled maps for reference. just try shooting the elevator shaft while it's "moving." you'll see the "portal" stay in the same spot on the wall as you move up. and yes, it's always up. never down.

ebola wrote:
all of the levels use elevators that move. i noticed this even before i decompiled maps for reference. just try shooting the elevator shaft while it's "moving." you'll see the "portal" stay in the same spot on the wall as you move up. and yes, it's always up. never down.

Black Mesa and Aperture Science both love their deep underground complexes.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Secret underground bases FTW!

excuse the childishness there... :oops:

Theres a particle effect on top of the elevators (a righ blue beam), anyone know what its called? It will fit into an info_particle_system. but the "effect_name"s aren't in the .fgd

Thank
Youme

Quote:
Theres a particle effect on top of the elevators (a righ blue beam), anyone know what its called? It will fit into an info_particle_system. but the "effect_name"s aren't in the .fgd

the name of the entity class is: env_citadel_energy_core

"Aperture Science does not take any responsibility to physical harm or injury sustained through 'thinking with portals' outside of the test chambers"
Page 1 of 2Next