Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Death Water

Anyone get the deadly liquid acid goo working where it will actually kill you, yet? I've tried all sorts of damage types and even tried one thing i found called trigger_watery_death, and still had no results.

Try a trigger_hurt.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

i did :( to no avail. Is there something specific within the trigger hurt I have to set up? I've tried generic damage, shock, poisen (figured it would be poisen) and nothing.. Upped the damage to like 100, then 1000 (just to see) Tried adding an output on the trigger like on_hurt..
Nothing. I figure there is like only one damage method that actually hurts the player as nothing but the combine ball and the poisen water will kill you in the game. Even instant death will suffice for me for now.

I didn't try just adding it as an entity. Is that what you have to do? I was adding it to a solid under the water that just had a 'trigger' texture.

Trigguer_hurt is a brush entity, so you have to tie to brush to the trigger_hurt entity, then cover it on all surfaces with the trigger texture.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Be sure to use a trigger texture, the texture is called "trigger" (don't use trigger relay) then press Ctrl and T with the brush selected, change it to trigger_hurt and set your values. You may want to look in the flags.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Yeah, there are two different types of entities.

Point entities, and Brush entities.

Point entites are entities which are simply a point on the map and are represented by their own simple or small graphic. They can function entirley by themselves and are not dependant on other entities most of the time. Most often by a small pink cube. A few examples of these are, lights, spawn points, beams, particle generators, and cube maps.

Brush entities are entities whom are dependant on a solid brush to attach too. You must create a solid brush, then use the "tie to entity" function in the tools menu. Select which entity you want to tie to and then select ok. Some common brush entities are, triggers, precipitation, or even the buy zones in counter-strike. Very useful for defining an area that the entity should effect.

Portal uses damage_type "chemical" for its drowning effect and damage set to 100. You can find the texture for the goo in my 1.5 tutorial. I would also suggest using an env_soundscape with the goo to portray an even more detailed map. My part 3 tutorial will also list every available sound_scape within portal.

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]

I hope these tutorials will be on the wiki, yeah? ;)