Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Custom maps cross-compatible PC/Xbox 360?

Page 1 of 3Next

A bunch of my friends are mostly console gamers, so they'll be playing Portal on Xbox 360. I'm wondering whether our custom maps will work in the 360 version. Does anyone know the answer to this?

If they do work, how do the console kids get the map to their consoles? Will they have to download the files via the internets and then transfer them to the 360 with a home network? Or is there some way to make them available on Xbox Live?

Cr00ked.

I severly doubt that Xbox players will be able to play third-party maps (IE, our stuff). Which is part of the reason why I can't believe anyone would buy Orange Box on Xbox since maps are a huge part of why I wanted Portal, but I digress.

There is always the possibility that Valve will go to the community and pick the cream of the crop to release a map pack through Xbox Live, but that is purely speculation.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

My experience with FPS games on console are that they have to dumb down some things for the conversion.

For instance Unreal tournament is fast-paced double jumping shoot while flipping action, but when ported to Xbox in the form of Unreal Championship, there was little to no jumping. Same maps, but it wasn't the same.

I believe the reason for this is quite simply the controls. Consoles cram all player movement to the players thumbs, you have one thumb controling your aim, another controling movement. While that sounds fine, keep in mind that the one controling aim also needs to control jumping by moving to another button.

PC allows us to use a seperate finger for all these actions.

In terms of portal, this will be fine for most puzzles. But I'd wager you will see the challenges easier, and wont see very many if any fast paced fling maps on the XBox

I'm not too familair with xbox, so if they have a keyboard or directional pad as opposed to the classic controller then maybe its possible

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

Rofl! Your friends actually play Console games, let alone Console FPS?

Please slap them and tell them how stupid they are and tell them to build a real gaming machine. The top xbox 360 model is like 300 bucks and all it can do is play stock games that suck to begin with? What a WASTE OF MONEY!

Tell them to play real games. Kthx.

EDIT: Portal for the Xbox has auto aim enabled by default and cannot be disabled.

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]

Now that's not fair. I dont think anyone should get flamed over what they use to play games. If they are into consoles, thats cool. I'm not much of a fan for console fps', but the upside consoles will always beat pc's on is that they are good for playing side by side with a friend. I've been to my share of lan parties, and everyone huddles over their computer w/ their headphones where there is little to no talking, everyone has their own screen. When I kill someone, I wanna turn and laugh at them, followed by spending a good 30 seconds of smacking eachother around yelling things like "you suck" "no you do" time and again.

ahhh.. memories..

Quote:
I've been to my share of lan parties, and everyone huddles over their computer w/ their headphones where there is little to no talking, everyone has their own screen. When I kill someone, I wanna turn and laugh at them, followed by spending a good 30 seconds of smacking eachother around yelling things like "you suck" "no you do" time and again.

ahhh.. memories..

that was so well put.

I don't think consoles are a waste. In fact, there are lots of games I prefer to play sitting on a couch with a controller. Fighting games, for instance, or racing games, all the GTA games, Zelda, Prince of Persia, Metroid, and so on.

Shooters are obviously better with a keyboard and mouse. And PC is the way to play RTS games and RPGs.

In the case of the Orange Box, it was a no-brainer. Not only is it a pack full of shooters (mouselook FTW), but I preordered from Steam for $45 (it's $60 on Xbox) and had it all downloaded and ready to go at 12:01 launch day. Didn't even have to leave the house. :)

Cr00ked.

agreed, zelda, tetris, dr. mario... only on console

supersmash.

supersmash bros is a fun game, but its too clicky, meaning I never spent my free time playing it, and couldn't play my brothers cause thats all they'd do, they'd pick their favorite guy and use 2-3 moves and my controller coulda been unplugged and I wouldn't have noticed :?

Page 1 of 3Next