Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Community Roundup: Contest Edition

Page 1 of 2Next

The dust has settled on the Summer Mapping Initiative, it's time to once again start back up with our weekly Community Roundup news posts, highlighting the best maps of the past week. It's been nearly a month since our last Roundup, so the next two weeks are going to work a bit differently.

This week we are going to roundup the top maps from the Summer Mapping Initiative itself. We are still working on coming up with an easily readable format for all of the contest ratings and judgements - there is really just a ton of data. So in the mean time, here are the top 25 rated maps from the contest. Normally we will put a small blurb about these maps, though given the volume I will save on white space and reading time and simply list them out.

Grand Prize Winners
[SP] Patent Pending by ebola
[SP] Infinifling by MrTwoVideoCards
[SP] Edifice by Omnicoder

Runners Up
[SP] Sphere: Delta Bunsen! by Lobster
[SP] Cubes 'n' Funnels by Will T.
[Coop] Redirecting Redirection by MrTwoVideoCards
[Coop] Fast Bridge by Skotty
[SP] Chamber Six by Nezzy
[SP] Discouragement Encouragement by Groxkiller585
[SP] Don't Eat the Paint by CaretCaret
[Coop] Fling Bridge by Kosire
[SP] Variation Susceptibility Test (VST) by no00dylan
[SP] Speed Gel Is Fun by supersandvich
[SP] Cubi by AmnDragon
[Coop] Mp_coop_Versus by Pete
[SP] Lost in Testing by KenJeKenny!?
[Coop] Abandoned Chamber by Hunter-Killer
[SP] Missing Geodome by Kay
[SP] Wall Button and Box Racing by lilBro
[SP] Overgrowth by slowdevelopment
[SP] Motanum's Main Four by Motanum
[SP] Rainbow's Competition Entry by Rainbow
[SP] PMK 6 by mazk1985
[SP] One in the Chamber by KrispyTheKorn
[SP] Laser Funnel by Nicky397

Next week we will be going over the top non-contest maps since our last roundup several weeks ago, so expect another big dump of maps to play.

Did we forget to mention a great map? Have a suggestion of a map that needs to be included? Think a map should be in the Community Spotlight? Tell us! Post here in this thread with a link to the map you think should be highlighted and we'll be sure to give it a test drive!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Assuming this list is in order of highest voted to least, I landed 9th place. Out of 200+ maps I think that's pretty good! :D

Correct, this list is sorted by rating.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Yeah, not surprised Revenge of the Angry Turrets didn't make it since it was my first map. Oh well, maybe my Traps map will be a better single player map than the Turret map.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
Groxkiller585 wrote:
Assuming this list is in order of highest voted to least, I landed 9th place. Out of 200+ maps I think that's pretty good! :D

Good job!

I am Glad I managed to get on top 25 to be honest, even though I couldn't fix the light bridge lag. I really think that was out of my league.

EDIT. Also, may I suggest Mevious Co-op map? I can't remember the name of the map, but it is definitely a must play for those players who want a real puzzle challenge.

Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com

Oh, well I guess my map wasn't that great after all, disappointing, but still there are all great maps in that list, good job to you all.

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

My favorite was [SP] Bridges to a New Tomorrow by Zhan, which didn't make the top 25 list.

#2 was [SP] Sphere: Delta Bunsen! by Lobster.
#3 was [SP] One in the Chamber by KrispyTheKorn

Wow i can't believe i made it that far up the ranking :D

Totally happy right now :P

.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.

Really GREAT maps out there! This has been a tough contest!

About winners, well they deserve the grand prize of course. Those maps are really awesome and very well done. Though I would like to bring out at least these ones:

- DAMAGEPY's "TEST FOR FUN": really very well thought-out puzzles. Impeccable development of the chambers, textures, atmosphere. Good increasing of difficulty in levels, and nearly all features of Portal2. Totally recommendable... MUCH FUN!
(Test for fun (DaMaGepy #2))

- RubyCarbuncIe's "BLUE WALLS": a complete map throughout 2-3 rooms including all portal2 tools with a very good level of challenging. Impressive atmosphere and sounds. Very well thought-out puzzles. Veeeeryy funny and recommendable.
([SP] Blue Walls)

- Zham's "Bridges to a new tomorrow": Valve never took out such that brilliant handling of the hard light bridges. Really well thought-out puzzles by the use of the hard light bridges! Good level of difficulty, very chanlleging. Nice and well developed chambers... and soooo funny!
([SP] Bridges to a New Tomorrow)

At least those ones deserve a warning sign!

Have fun!

Regards!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Awesome I made 23rd place :D :D :D
I played the top maps and I have to say that they were incredible. They were really fun while still giving you a good challenge. The final room on Edifice though was one of my favourite moments as it involved some clever portal navigation puzzles.

All in all, some pretty awesome maps. It's amazing how Portal 2's custom map community has this extremely high standard right now. I can't wait to see down the line what people come up with
:omg:

Page 1 of 2Next