Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Alternate Exits?

Page 1 of 3Next

I was curious... I remember from the original DOOM where there were
"secret" exits that took you to bonus maps and then back in line to the
alternate areas once you exited (I even remember setting up one of these
as a replacement in a WAD file a long time ago).

What I was wondering, is there a way to create multiple exits.
like going down one elevator will do a change_level bonus_map.
whereas going down the default elevator will do a change_level next_map
sort of thing? I mean, how does that closing work anyway?

If you are including multiple map files, then yes it is possible. You can have multiple change_level's to different maps if you'd like, there is nothing set in stone about having only 2 per map.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

what? a replacement wad file? a wad file is just textures...

but like sleeper said all you have to do to get the level to change to another level is a trigger

He is talking about Doom, not Portal. WAD files aren't even valid anymore.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Yes, I was talking about the original DOOM, before "brushes" and "carving"...
wad files included the bsp trees within them among many other things.
those that contained only levels were known as PWADs, but I digress :)

Thank you for that info msleeper. Everyone was complaining about how it
was too linear, but I'd like to make a map set that had different levels
based on difficulty... although not chosen from the start as in Quake.

Hopefully this idea interests people, b/c I don't recall anyone showing this
ability off... regarding official maps and games and whatnot.

This is a fantastic idea, I had exactly the same thought last night as i was setting up my level changes. only, I thought it would be silly, but now i think about it seems an excelent idea.

you could have "secret areas" as you say or you could have two different play routes:

map A - map B - map D - map F
-map C- map E -/

this brings whole new possibilities

I'm so stealing this idea. Let's just say that I'm putting a certain 'moral choice' in one of my levels. :)

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%
Wroth wrote:
I'm so stealing this idea. Let's just say that I'm putting a certain 'moral choice' in one of my levels. :)

I think I'm going to aswell. although maybe not, I'll have to find some way to weave it in.

But unless you're careful to make the maps just right, you'll always have players miss some content. Just a thought.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

or you could just toss them all these variations into one map

if your worried about file size...its going to be exactly the same amount that they would have to download anyway to get all the maps

with how big you can make makes in the hl2 era there really is no reason to split them up

they do it with smaller maps in portal because each map was prolly made by a different mapper and as such they werent going to be connected and on top of that its easier for the player to know when they passed a level by going to a new map

Page 1 of 3Next