Please or Register to create posts and topics.

AltDevBlogADay article on puzzle design

Spectacular game development superblog #AltDevBlogADay has just posted up an article on creating good puzzle design.

Quote:
Next up I assembled the puzzles in-game and turned them loose on our testers. I quickly discovered that what seems easy to me after working on the game full-time for nine months isn't necessarily as easy for gamers who haven't spent that type of time with the product. Test, test test. Who knew? There's a fine line between challenging and "Nuts to this" with gamers.

If you have a few minutes and you find puzzle design interesting or important, give it a read. And shout out to the the author on Twitter!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

This is my favorite article about puzzle design, lots of useful informations from different developers of puzzle games.

Quote:
What is a good puzzle?
"I feel like when we design something clever,
players enjoy it just as much as we do." - Teddy Lee

Minimally, a good puzzle:

• has clear rules;
• has a clear objective;
• finds the balance between too easy and frustrating, to make an interesting challenge.

On top of this, an interesting puzzle can be a puzzle that:

• stumps the player for a long time, but whose solution looks obvious once found;
• uses the mechanics in unexpected ways;
• has multiple solutions;
• allows a tiered system so that beginners and novices can play at different difficulty levels.

~(o)~~/o\~ A Trusted Friend in Science
My workshop
How to control other people
[spoiler]LOL, I've just forced you to click on the 'SHOW' button! Now click here: http://soundcloud.com/vojtasiman/[/spoiler]