Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A Marriage Proposal and Portal In Real Life

So let's say there's someone special in your life. Now let's say that special someone shares your obsessive love of Portal. And now let's say you want that special someone to be the special someone with which you spend the rest of your life.

How do you pop that question?

Well, if you're like the intrepid and enterprising fellow Gary Hudston, you contact VALVe and ask for custom lines to be put in a Portal 2 map that will serve as a proposal. He posted on our forums several weeks ago asking for help with a secret project, saying it had been sanctioned by VALVe and also saying Ellen McLain had done custom dialogue work for him. Several mappers agreed to work on it, and a little over a month later the map was released. Congratulations to Gary and Stephanie (she said yes!); I, for one, raise my Aperture Labs mug in a toast. The video walkthrough of the level follows below, and in honor we've decided to toss up the map as the next Community Spotlight.

o8SdYz7cq04

And on another note--because one geeky awesome video deserves another--we've got a pretty darn fantastic in-real-life Portal video to show you. Called "Portal: No Escape", it's got special effects that make me smile and a surprise ending that's shockingly unexpected.

4drucg1A6Xk

Now with 100% more inline comments!

I'm glad to see this posted here, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with this project if it wasn't for this site. Thank you so much.

It's worth mentioning that I don't usually go by "LovelyNeurotoxin". I just had to create a username that Stephanie wouldn't equate with me. It is starting to grow on me, though! ;)

The project started here at TWP, so of course we'll post it. I do wish there was a direct link to us in the video's description, though...

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

congratulations You Guys :)

Great work on both videos.

Regarding the Proposal, I'd really like to see some TWP credits involved, considering that SO MUCH of the TWP resources were used (TWP community members, TWP forums used to recruit people for the project etc.)

Regarding the Escape, very well made. The ending realization/reveal was AMAZING, and looked so great.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
vury good!

do NOT click this
WinstonSmith wrote:
I, for one, raise my Aperture Labs mug in a toast.

I'll raise my Aperture mug too! :D
*tosses her fuzzy companion dice in the air*

Portal 2 Marriage Proposal project: Linking Annex
Spotlighted and over 9000 downloads!!! SP_Angrybombs

Here's my youtube & deviantart

Congratulations, To Gary and Stephanie

Thanks MissStabby, Tophattwaflle, Valve and of cource Ellen McLain

Regarding the thinkingwithportals.com link in the description: The man to talk to would be TopHATTwaffle as the video is uploaded to his youtube account. I'm sure he'd have no problem adding a link.

If it helps, I've been plugging TWP in interviews wherever possible. ;)

Just promise me that there will be a new spotlight the week after this one. There are plenty of mappers other than MissStabby that deserve a mention...