Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A general map rating system.

I think it will be important to develop some sort of standard feedback system for work in progress map. To help the map maker by showing which areas are good, and which areas need improvement.

Could be a simple 1 to 5, 5 being the best. And then have categories like:
- Lighting
- Textures
- Gameplay
- Puzzles
etc.

Also it would be good to have more constructive feedback. For example, some people have said my map 'took a while', but it would be good if they said why to took a while, and whether the map taking a while was good or frustrating.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Hmm, i agree with you on this.
People say that maps are awesome but suck at the same time... well we don't know why so give more details please i say lol.

So yeah this is a good idea.

How about the following:

Game Visuals 1 2 3 4 5
Sound Quality 1 2 3 4 5
Puzzle Difficulty 1 2 3 4 5
General Gameplay Feel 1 2 3 4 5
Different methods I found to beat this map:

Those topics are broad enough that anyone can rate them w/o having them on impulse, rather than rating textures and lights, etc, then if they want to give more input they can explain each thing in detail.

Game visuals would include lighting and textures and everything else visually.

Sound quality I would say isn't necessary, but as I find myself more and more paying attention to sound, and finding little annoyances, I realize that is more important than I used to give it credit.

Puzzle Difficulty would detail how hard the puzzle is vs how annoying the puzzle is.

Gameplay would consist of the quality of moving through the map. If you get stuck on an edge all the time, that wouldn't be good for score. If you keep noticing triggers act funny, or an elevator/door/button moves slower, that would affect score. Length, if you can glide through the whole map in 10 seconds, that would affect score.

Different methods I found to beat this map would just show how many ways you found to beat the map. This could be very helpful to the map maker who may have gotten so close to his map, he hasn't seen any other way to beat it.

Would that work?

That really good, i'm going to start rating maps based on that.

Maybe we could have that sticked somewhere, so people can refer to it.

Make a new post that is cleaner and more intelligent and I'll sticky it. In the meantime, use the Comment and Rating function of the Download DB.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.